Saba Sultan Hotel Istanbul: Your Dream Turkish Escape Awaits!
Saba Sultan Hotel Istanbul: My Turkish Dream… And a Few Hiccups
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I’m about to spill the tea on the Saba Sultan Hotel in Istanbul. This isn't just a review; it's a full-blown, messy, honest, and occasionally rambling account of my stay. Expect emotions, imperfections, and maybe just a touch of dramatic flair.
SEO & Metadata Stuff (ugh, gotta do it!):
- Title: Saba Sultan Hotel Istanbul Review: A Turkish Delight…With a Twist!
- Keywords: Saba Sultan Hotel Istanbul, Istanbul hotels, Turkey travel, accessible hotels, spa hotel Istanbul, rooftop pool, luxury hotel Istanbul, Sultanahmet hotels, best hotels Istanbul, Istanbul review, Turkish hospitality, hotel review, Sultanahmet, accessibility, WiFi, spa, dining, service
- Description: An honest and detailed review of the Saba Sultan Hotel in Istanbul, covering everything from accessibility and amenities to the food and the drama! Get ready for a whirlwind tour of this Turkish gem, complete with personal anecdotes and unfiltered opinions.
Arrival & First Impressions: Pretty Good, But…
The entrance. Honestly, the entrance was stunning. Okay, maybe it was because I was exhausted after a 14-hour flight. But the lobby had that thing – you know, the kind of opulent, slightly overwhelming beauty that screams "Welcome to Istanbul!" The doorman? Impeccably dressed, oozing charm – a true Turkish delight, literally.
Accessibility: A Mixed Bag
Now, here's where things get tricky. The hotel claims to be accessible, and they have facilities for disabled guests. But navigating the actual experience? Let's just say it wasn't always smooth sailing. The elevator was definitely a lifesaver (essential!), and the ramp access to the lobby was good. However, navigating the outdoor pool area, even using the Valet parking was a bit of a maze. I tried to use wheelchair access, and I felt I needed to speak to the front desk about how they could improve the system because of the way it was set up.
Rooms: Grand, with a Quirky Side
I opted for a non-smoking room, which was thankfully smoke-free. The room itself? Gorgeous. Think plush carpeting, a gigantic extra long bed (bliss!), and a private bathroom with a bathtub AND a separate shower. The bathrobes were ridiculously soft, and the complimentary tea and coffee/tea maker were absolute godsends. I swear, the first thing I did was make a cup of Turkish coffee, then I had complimentary tea with daily housekeeping. Then the alarm clock went off and it was a whole thing of getting used to my new life!
The Internet access – wireless (AKA Wi-Fi [free]) worked pretty flawlessly, which was a relief. I am always worried about the Internet – LAN connection, it's old-school, and I was happy I didn't have to use it at all.
Things to Do: Pampering and Turkish Delights
I'm a sucker for a good spa, and the Saba Sultan didn't disappoint. The spa/sauna was divine (I felt like a pampered sultan!), and the massage was pure bliss. I spent hours in the sauna and steamroom, and the body scrub left my skin feeling like silk. I honestly considered just living there for a few days. The pool with a view was another highlight – a perfect spot to sip cocktails and soak up the Istanbul skyline.
Dining: A Culinary Adventure (with Ups and Downs)
The breakfast [buffet] was epic, in the best possible way. Loads of delicious options: Asian breakfast, Western breakfast. The coffee shop was a great place to relax. I loved being able to have Room service [24-hour].
The restaurants were varied, offering both Asian cuisine in restaurant and international dishes. However, the service in the restaurants could be a bit… spotty. One night, my order got completely lost, and after waiting for an hour, I ended up with a cold soup and a salad. The poolside bar was great.
Cleanliness and Safety: Reassuring, But Not Obsessive
Okay, let's talk COVID. The hotel had all the standard protocols in place: Anti-viral cleaning products, hygiene certifications, and staff trained in safety protocol. I noticed Daily disinfection in common areas, Staff trained in safety protocol, and the presence of Hand sanitizer everywhere. I felt safer than I would at home.
Services and Conveniences: Helpful, But Not Always Smooth
The concierge was incredibly helpful, arranging tours and offering local insights. 24-hour Front desk was really helpful when I needed them.
Getting Around: A Taxi Tale
The airport transfer service was smooth sailing. But I had a bit of a nightmare trying to hail a taxi on my own. This is where having the taxi service in the hotel really help.
For the Kids (and the Kid in Me):
They had Babysitting services, and they had Kids facilities, but I didn't need them.
The Quirks & the Drama:
Here's where it gets juicy.
- The Room Decor: It was beautiful, but there was a slightly… over-enthusiastic use of gold. Like, I swear, the toilet seat was gold-plated!
- The Staff: Some were incredibly friendly and helpful, whilst others were a bit… aloof. One particularly grumpy waiter (who shall remain nameless) seemed to actively resent my presence.
- The View: Amazing. Until the construction started at 7 AM. Then it was less amazing and more "Where are my earplugs?!"
- Incident: I came down to the front desk and expressed my worry about access to the pool, and I felt like I was being told that the issue was mine not the hotels…
The Verdict: Worth a Stay, With a Reality Check
The Saba Sultan Hotel is a beautiful hotel in Istanbul. Its Swimming Pool is amazing. This is my dream Turkish escape.
Would I recommend it? Absolutely, with a few crucial asterisks. The hotel is gorgeous, the spa is heavenly, and the location is perfect for exploring Sultanahmet. However, be prepared for occasional service hiccups, a slightly over-the-top aesthetic, and some accessibility issues.
Overall, the Saba Sultan Hotel delivers a luxurious experience, with a few quirks and the occasional dose of drama. If you go in with realistic expectations, you're in for a truly memorable stay.
Escape to Paradise: Stunning Zoutelande Beachfront Apartment!Okay, buckle up buttercup, because this ain't your sanitized, "perfectly-planned-Pinterest-board" itinerary. We're going to Istanbul, baby! And we're staying at the Saba Sultan Hotel. Let's see if we survive… and if I can remember half of it after all the Turkish Delight and late-night conversations with the hotel cat.
Istanbul Shenanigans: A Totally Unreliable Schedule (with more feelings than facts)
Day 1: Arrival & A Thousand Tiny Doors (and a Slightly Panic-Induced Turkish Coffee)
Morning (or whenever the flight actually lands, which is anyone's guess): Touch down at Istanbul Airport. Ugh, airports. The sheer chaos! Okay, deep breaths. Found my luggage (miracle!). Taxi time! Negotiating the fare with a Turkish taxi driver is practically an Olympic sport. We finally arrive at the Saba Sultan. The lobby… wow. Looks like a movie set. I immediately feel like I'm royalty.
- Impression: This place is stunning. The staff are impossibly polite. I accidentally knocked over a vase (thankfully empty), mortified, but they just smiled and said "Welcome." This is going well!
Afternoon: Check-in! Our room is…well, it’s definitely a room. The view is spectacular, though – rooftops, the Bosphorus glinting in the distance, and the call to prayer echoing through the air. SO beautiful.
- Immediate reaction: I need coffee. Turkish coffee. Now. Like, right now. I practically sprinted downstairs to the hotel bar. The incredibly kind barman explained that I needed to have a few sips and then read the grounds. I am terrible at it and looked like a fool, but he found it incredibly funny.
Evening: Wandered the Sultanahmet district, got completely lost (expected!), and found myself staring at the Blue Mosque. The sheer scale of it… I nearly cried. Seriously. I'm such a cliché.
Anecdote: Tried to buy a scarf from a vendor. He wouldn’t take NO for an answer. I just wanted to look! Ended up buying a vibrant, silk thing. It feels like a hug.
Observation: The whole city feels like a labyrinth! But in the best way. Every tiny street holds a surprise. Every door just beckoned.
Dinner: The restaurant was amazing and I had a kebab. My word of choice was "Wonderful". I had more Turkish coffee and I think I am going to sleep soundly.
Day 2: Hagia Sophia & the Grand Bazaar (and an Ongoing Battle with my Credit Card)
- Morning: Hagia Sophia. I mean, seriously, this building. The history! The mosaics! The sheer audacity of it all! I got a crick in my neck from staring upwards.
- Emotional Reaction: I felt so small in there. It was a humbling experience. I had goosebumps the entire visit. I think I am going to come back here.
- Afternoon: The Grand Bazaar. OH. MY. GOD. Prepare yourself. People, noise, colors, the smell of spices… It's sensory overload, in the absolute best way possible. I wandered in and out of the shops seeing everything and nothing. I bought a carpet (obviously!) and spent way more money than I planned. I just wanted that little charm. I bartered like a pro (I think!).
- Impression: It's easy to get lost in there and I loved it. I almost wanted to stay there for hours, but I had some shopping to do.
- Quirk: My credit card is currently staging a protest. It’s not happy.
- Evening: Dinner at a restaurant with a view of the Bosphorus. Seafood. Wine. The lights of the city twinkling. It’s genuinely magical. I think I might fall in love.
- Rambling Thoughts: I keep wanting pictures, but the world is too gorgeous, too real for a photograph. It's a battle.
Day 3: Spice Market & a Turkish Bath (or, How I Almost Died of Relaxation)
- Morning: Spice Market. The colors alone are worth it. Piles of spices, teas, nuts, dried fruits… The aromas! I was in pure heaven. Bought more Turkish Delight (obviously) and a mountain of spices that I probably won’t know what to do with.
- Observation: I think I'm starting to get the hang of this "living abroad" thing. I can communicate. Mostly by pointing and smiling, but still.
- Afternoon: Hamam time! The Turkish bath experience. This was…intense. I mean, pure bliss, but also…intense. Being scrubbed down and massaged within an inch of my life. I was practically jelly afterward. Nearly fell asleep on the massage table, which I guess is the point.
- Emotional Reaction: So. Relaxed. I think I shed a layer of stress I didn't know existed. I could probably just drift away on the wind right now. Absolutely the best!
- Evening: Rooftop cocktails at the hotel. Watching the sunset over old Istanbul. Sharing memories with a couple of people I met in the hotel. This is my favorite type of evening.
- Minor Detail I Don't Want To Skip: the hotel cats are amazing. Friendly, fluffy, and they demand attention. Especially the one with the wonky ear. I secretly want to take him home.
Day 4: Boat Trip & Farewell Dinner (and The Existential Dread of Leaving Soon)
- Morning: A Bosphorus boat trip. So gorgeous! The water! The views of the palaces! I even saw dolphins. Okay, maybe I dreamt the dolphins. Either way, fantastic.
- Afternoon: Wandering through the narrow streets, in and out of shops, buying a few last things.
- Evening: Farewell dinner. A fancy restaurant. Great Turkish food. I might cry (again). There is always so much going on in Istanbul, but to leave, and to come back home again. So excited to see my dog, but sad to not spend more time in this beautiful place.
- Rambling: The staff have come to know my coffee order, and they know my name. It feels like home. In 4 days, I feel part of the family.
- Emotional Reaction: I'm starting to feel the pangs of sadness. I don’t want to leave. Istanbul has gotten under my skin. Its a beautiful city with so much going on!
Day 5: Departure (and the Vow to Return, Eventually)
- Morning: Goodbye to the Saba Sultan. A final Turkish coffee. Hugs from the staff. Then, the dreaded taxi to the airport.
- Observation: I'm already planning my return trip.
- Final Thought: What an adventure. This is what real travel is all about. The good, the bad, the confusing, the utterly breathtaking. And the Turkish Delight… I'm going to miss the Turkish Delight.
This itinerary? It's just a starting point. Go get lost. Get curious. Embrace the chaos. And for the love of all that is holy, drink the coffee!
Escape to Paradise: Stunning Sea View Apartment in Egmond aan Zee!Saba Sultan Hotel Istanbul: Your Dream Turkish Escape? Buckle Up, Buttercup!
Okay, seriously, is this hotel *actually* as amazing as all the pictures?
Alright, let's be real. The pictures? They're *good*. Like, professionally lit, angles meticulously chosen... You get the picture. Is it *exactly* like that in person? Hmm... that's where it gets interesting. Look, parts are *stunning*. That lobby? Yes, really beautiful. My jaw dropped. I swear, I spent the first ten minutes there just wandering around, touching things (I know, I know, don't be *that* tourist, but… velvet!). Then I went upstairs to my room, and… well, the pictures *did* conveniently leave out the occasional slightly-worn corner. Listen, it's an old building, dripping with character (and maybe a slight leak or two depending on the weather, ahem). It's not a sterile, brand-new hotel. Think *character* over pristine perfection. And honestly? That’s part of its charm.
How's the location? Is it a nightmare to get around?
Ah, the location! Okay, so it's right in the heart of Sultanahmet. Think: Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace… all practically spitting distance. Walking distance. Huge win! You're practically *in* the history books! I’m talking, roll out of bed (after finally kicking jet lag's butt) and you're *there*. Now, the downside? It’s a tourist hotspot. Which means crowds. Expect crowds. Particularly at peak times. But hey, at least you're not spending hours in traffic! Getting to other parts of the city? Public transport is surprisingly decent. Tram is your friend. Taxis? Well, you'll encounter the usual taxi driver shenanigans, so brush up on your haggling skills. Just be prepared for the chaos, people! It's Istanbul, after all. Embrace it! I *almost* got run over by a ridiculously polite driver who clearly wanted to talk, which, yes, *is* a Turkish experience.
What kind of rooms are available? And how are they?
They have a variety, from cozy doubles to suites that look fit for, well, a sultan. I'll be frank, the decor is very Turkish, some might say *very* traditional. Lots of rich textiles, ornate furniture, and… well, sometimes a slight echo. Think of it as a chance to fulfill your "I'm an explorer in a far-off land" fantasy. My room? Pretty decent size. Cleanliness? Generally good. But... and there's always a but, isn’t there? Some of the rooms might be more charming than others. Ask when booking. If you get a room with a view of the Bosphorus... well, you’ll have a good time. I heard the suites are amazing, but I wasn’t *quite* balling that trip.
Tell me about the breakfast, is it worth it?
Breakfast? Okay, *this* is a big one. The breakfast is… a *thing*. Seriously, it's a spread. A *Turkish* spread. Think: mountains of fresh bread, olives, cheeses, jams, honey (the *Turkish* honey!). This is where you learn to pace yourself, people. You *think* you can eat everything. You can’t. Trust me. I made that mistake on day one and spent the rest of the morning feeling like a stuffed kebab. It's buffet-style, so load up! The coffee is strong, the pastries are delicious, and they have these little mini-omelets with tomatoes and peppers – heaven! Honestly, worth getting up for even if you're not a morning person. Which I am *definitely* not.
What about other dining options at the hotel? Or nearby?
The hotel *does* have a restaurant, which, to be honest, I didn’t try. I was too busy exploring (and, you know, eating all that breakfast…). But there are *tons* of restaurants nearby. Like, literally, every street corner has something tempting. From tiny kebab shops with amazing, cheap food to fancier places with rooftop views. Be adventurous! Wander around. Get lost (safely, of course). Don't be afraid to try the street food. Just, you know, use your best judgment and maybe avoid the places that look *too* empty. The hotel staff can also give you recommendations. Ask them! They’re actually really helpful.
What kind of services and amenities can I expect?
The standard stuff is there: Wi-Fi (worked okay), a 24-hour reception (thank goodness!), and a spa (which I regret not trying, but time!). The staff is generally friendly and helpful. English isn't always perfect, but they try their best. They can arrange tours, airport transfers (a definite plus), and lend a hand with anything you need. Laundry service, too, which after all that walking around, is a lifesaver. I distinctly remember getting a *massive* stain on a white shirt from some delicious Turkish pizza and being incredibly grateful for their service. Seriously, the little things make a big difference.
Is there a spa? And is it any good?
Yes! There *is* a spa, but alas… I failed to visit! And now I weep a little internally. I was so busy dashing around, seeing everything that I just didn’t make it. But! I heard whispers of a traditional Turkish bath (hammam), massages, and other relaxing treatments. Now, picture this: imagine yourself after a long day of exploring the city, being massaged and exfoliated in a steamy room. Think beautiful tiles! Think… pure bliss! I’m already planning a return trip just for that. So, *go*. Don't be an idiot like me. Book a treatment! And tell me all about it. Seriously, I'm living vicariously.
What are some potential downsides or things to be aware of?
Alright, let's be brutally honest. Old buildings come with… quirks. Noise is a possibility. You're in a bustling city, and sounds travel! Also, the Wi-Fi, as I mentioned, wasn't the most consistent. Sometimes patchy in rooms. Fine for basic browsing, but maybe not ideal if you need to have a video call. And, as I’ve said before, some rooms are definitely more ‘charming’ (read: slightly less updated) than others. But honestly? Those are minor gripes in the grand scheme of things. Just go in with realistic expectations and you'll be fine. Maybe bring earplugs, just in case. Oh! One other thing: getting a taxi *to* the hotel canWallet Friendly Stay