Escape to Paradise: Hulshorst's Stunning Pool Home Awaits!
Escape to Paradise: Hulshorst's Pool Home… Did it Live Up? (A Messy Review)
Okay, friends, buckle up. Because "Escape to Paradise: Hulshorst's Stunning Pool Home Awaits!" sounded exactly like what I needed. After a month of staring at spreadsheets and battling a particularly grumpy toaster, I craved… well, paradise. I booked the place, and now it’s time to spill the (possibly lukewarm) tea. This ain't your perfectly curated travel blog, people. This is REAL.
First Impressions (and a Little Panic):
The website photos? Gorgeous. Crystal-clear pool shimmering under a cloudless sky. Rooms that screamed "luxury." Reality? Well, it was… there. The exterior corridor leading to my room felt a little… institutional. Like maybe I was about to be inducted into some sort of exclusive, slightly depressing club. But hey, I’m adaptable. Sort of. And the check-in? Contactless, which is great, except I'm technologically challenged and almost deleted my pre-check-in email with the key instructions. (Facepalm, emoji, insert here). I managed to stumble through the process, and finally got to my room.
The Room: A Mixed Bag of Awesome and "Hmm…"
So, "Available in all rooms" listed a gazillion things. Let me try to paint a picture as best I can… deep breath
- The Good Stuff: Air conditioning blasting like a frozen tundra in the Sahara? Check. Blackout curtains that actually worked? Double-check. Free Wi-Fi, because, duh, I'd be lost without my cat videos? Triple-check. The bed? Actually REALLY comfy. Extra-long, even! (Important for us gangly individuals.) Bathrobes that felt like actual clouds? Yes. Bathrobes. (And a little desk for those moments of forced work, because adulting.) And, oh! A window that actually opens! A godsend for a claustrophobe like me. Plus complimentary tea. Always a win.
- The "Hmm…" Stuff: Okay, the view from the high floor (thankfully I got one!), was less "paradise" and a little more "adjacent buildings." The bathroom? Private, yes, but the mirrored decor was a bit…much. And, I swear, it looked like the coffee maker was about to launch into orbit. And, though I didn't need it, the in-room safe? Could've done without the added reminder I've got personal documents to keep intact. Was it really THAT necessary?
Accessibility (Because We Gotta Talk About It):
This is important, right? And I'm trying to be REALLY honest here. Accessibility-wise, the place seemed… decent. Elevator? Yep. Facilities for disabled guests? Marked as available, but I didn't personally need them, so I can't give a definitive opinion. The details aren't clear to me. (But hey, at least there was a listing!) Also the entrance and pathways seemed reasonable enough…
Cleanliness and Safety (Because, 2024):
Look, I'm a germaphobe at heart (don't judge!). And the hotel was, like, doing the most with cleanliness. Daily disinfection in common areas? Yep. Hand sanitizer everywhere. Anti-viral cleaning products? Check. Staff wearing masks and trained in safety protocol? Check. So many checkmarks that I started feeling a little… paranoid. They offer room sanitization opt-out, which is refreshing. However, I'm also a bit like, "Chill, guys. It's not the plague."
The Pool and Spa: My Happy Place? (Maybe)
This is where the "paradise" promise almost delivered:
- The Pool: The pool with a view was… stunning. Seriously. Crystal clear, a perfect temperature, and the infinity edge gave the illusion of swimming into forever. I spent hours there, just floating and trying to remember what it felt like to not worry about work.
- The Spa: The Spa/Sauna/Steamroom? YES. Did I have a body scrub? Nope. Did I have a body wrap? Nope. But I did have the sauna, and the steamroom, and they were heavenly. The gym? Fine, whatever. But the sauna? That was where the magic happened. Sweating out all the bad vibes, all the deadlines, all the… (insert various anxieties here). I left feeling like a new person.
I will confess, though, I had, almost, a panic attack when I decided to use the "Poolside Bar." Ordering anything seemed way more complicated that it needed to be. There were options, but I didn't want to feel like I needed a guidebook. (The bartenders were friendly, though, bless them!).
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking (AKA Fueling My Existence):
- Breakfast: Breakfast was a buffet…sort of. It was International cuisine in restaurant, but the buffet? Mostly good. Asian breakfast? Nope. Western breakfast? Yep. I'm not going to lie, the coffee… well, let’s just say it could have been better. But the fresh fruit was amazing. The staff, though, were really, really nice.
- Dinner: A la carte in restaurant. The dinner at the main restaurant felt a bit…formal. Like, I felt underdressed in my jeans and sandals. But the food was good! Seriously good. The Salad in restaurant was very well done. and the soup was surprisingly tasty. However, I also noticed I'm not that big of a fan of the "desserts in restaurant." Just a personal preference.
Things to Do (Besides Eat, Swim, and Sweat):
Honestly? I mostly ate, swam, and sweated. And maybe took a quick nap. I'm not really a "things to do" kind of person on vacation. But, they did have a fitness center and a gym, if that's your jam. They even had on-site event hosting (Meetings/Banquet facilities). The hotel chain seemed to have things covered. The place was packed for a meeting of some sort for a day or two, but after it cleared, everything was quiet. The lack of pets was a shock, but understandable.
Service and Conveniences (The Little Things):
The staff were, without exception, incredibly friendly and helpful. Daily housekeeping was impeccable. Luggage storage was handy. The concierge was at the ready. The Wi-Fi in public areas worked. The convenience store was, well, convenient. And the air conditioning in public area was a godsend.
I almost forgot to mention that there was a bar… I never actually went to the bar itself, but I did appreciate that it was there, I guess?
The Verdict: Was it Paradise? Not Quite… But…
So, did "Escape to Paradise" completely live up to the hype? Nope. Not entirely. The room wasn’t flawless. The "paradise" vibe took a little while to kick in. The details weren't always clear… that aside, I had a mostly positive experience.
But.
The pool? The sauna? The unbelievably comfortable bed? Those things were enough to make it worthwhile. I left feeling… refreshed. Less stressed. Ready to face those spreadsheets again (kinda).
Would I go back? Yeah, probably. But this time, I'd be armed with a better coffee maker (just kidding… maybe). And maybe skip the mirrored bathroom decor… and a few other details.
Meta-bits (Because, SEO!):
- Keywords: Hulshorst hotel review, pool home, spa, sauna, swimming pool, free Wi-Fi, accessible hotel, luxury hotel, clean hotel, vacation, review of "Escape to Paradise: Hulshorst's Stunning Pool Home Awaits!"
- Metadata Description: A messy, hilarious, and honest review of "Escape to Paradise: Hulshorst's Stunning Pool Home Awaits!" covering everything from the amazing pool and spa to the slightly-too-formal dining and the occasionally-confusing room. Find out if this hotel truly delivers on its promise of paradise!
- Accessibility: This review details both the positive (and some of the negative) regarding accessibility. The hotel seems good with its efforts, and the descriptions are as accurate as I can remember.
- Overall Rating: 4 out of 5 stars (Would have been 5 if not for the odd decor and OK coffee!)
Alright, buckles your seatbelts, folks, because we're heading to… Hulshorst! That little blip on the map that promised a charming holiday home with a pool near Nunspeet, Netherlands. Let’s see if the reality matches the brochure, shall we? This is gonna be good – or disastrous, who knows!
Day 1: Arrival & Anticipation (and a whole lotta luggage)
- 1:00 PM: The Great Dutch Entry. Okay, landing in Amsterdam was a breeze. Easy to say now, I’m sweating just remembering the baggage carousel. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, my suitcase, the behemoth of optimism, appeared. Then the rental car saga… never trust a sat nav. Just never. We eventually found the tiny, rural road to Hulshorst.
- 3:00 PM: Check-in Chaos. The holiday home! It’s… well, it’s definitely there. The photos online were probably taken with a filter that made it look bigger than my tiny apartment back home. The pool, though, it’s a lovely shade of blue. But the key? Oh, the key was a tiny nightmare of a search, but we managed. Success!
- 3:30 PM: Unpacking, Fighting, and the Pool. Unpacking. A glorious mess. The kids are at each other’s throats (per usual). I swear, the journey from the front door to the bedroom, with all the baggage, felt like an obstacle course. But then… the pool called to me. I threw on my swimsuit, jumped in, and honestly? Bliss. Pure, unadulterated, chlorine-infused bliss.
- 6:00 PM: Dinner Debacle. Tonight, we're going Dutch with patatje oorlog, or "war fries." It sounds apocalyptic, but it's just fries with mayonnaise, peanut sauce, and raw onions. Which, if you didn't already know is amazing thing to exist! We found a place. The kids grumbled. I devoured my fries like I hadn’t eaten for days. The onions may or may not have induced tears of joy.
- 8:00 PM: Evening Stroll… with Mosquitoes. Trying to be all cultured and take a walk. Yeah, that lasted about ten minutes before the mosquito army descended. Ended up hiding inside, nursing the mosquito bites and watching a terrible dubbed movie. Perfect.
Day 2: Nunspeet-ish Adventures (and the Case of the Missing Sock)
- 9:00 AM: Breakfast Bonanza and Missing Socks. Attempt at a hearty breakfast after, but one of the kids decided he didn't like the bread. A sock is missing. Seriously. Where do socks just disappear?
- 10:00 AM: Exploring Nunspeet. So, Nunspeet. It promised quaint charm. It delivered… mostly. We walked along the Vrijheid, or Liberty Street, which was cute, but the shops were a little… repetitive. Another sock is missing. We are going to invest in a sock laundry bag.
- 12:00 AM: Lunchtime… and the Great Sandwich Disaster. Found a bakery. Got bread. I made sandwiches. My husband added mustard. The children looked at me with horror. Let's not talk about it.
- 1:00 PM: Back to the Pool, Baby! After the sandwich debacle, we went back to the pool. This is where my heart truly feels alive.
- 4:00 PM: Artistic Interlude (sort of). There's a famous painter in the area. So we tried to look. Let's just say we made it five minutes before the kids started complaining.
- 6:00 PM: Dinner, Take Two… or Three? Decided to give cooking at the holiday home another shot. Pasta it is! It was actually delicious.
- 7:30 PM: Board Games… and Family Feuds. Tried to have a family game night. Monopoly. Never a good idea. Arguments. Screaming. The game was eventually flipped over. It's okay. We won't be playing games tomorrow.
Day 3: The Veluwe – Nature's Call (and a lot of driving)
- 9:00 AM: Breakfast… and the Sock Conspiracy Deepens. So. Many. Missing. Socks. I'm genuinely starting to suspect a rogue sock monster living under the bed.
- 10:00 AM: Veluwe National Park. Right, so we're off to this big national park. It's beautiful. But it's also big. The cycling was lovely until the kids started complaining they were tired. It's like they forgot we can take a car. So we continued our trip by car.
- 12:00 AM: Picnic Procrastination. Decided to have a picnic. I forgot to pack the plates. And cutlery. And napkins. We sat on a bench, eating sandwiches out of our hands.
- 2:00 PM: Spotting the Deer (maybe). Saw some deer! Or, more accurately, glimpsed a flash of brown fur disappearing into the trees. But we saw them!…sort of.
- 4:00 PM: Giant Swing! Found a playground with a giant swing. Me and the kids had a blast.
- 6:00 PM: Dinner Out (Desperation Edition). Found a charming little restaurant. Okay food. The kids behaved (miraculously). We survived.
- 8:00 PM: Evening… Relaxation? Back at the holiday home. Tried to relax. Yeah, that lasted about five minutes before the kids were running around. Decided to give up and just go to bed.
Day 4: Day of the Pool and Departure Fears
- 9:00 AM: The Pool Ritual. The pool. It's the sun. It feels great and I am ready to go back again.
- 12:00 PM: Pool again, lunch, some games and more fun!
- 3:00 PM: The packing process The packing process starts and now I'm sad because I don't want to go.
- 6:00 PM: Leave The time has come to leave.
- 7:00 PM: Road trip The road to home is long.
Epilogue:
So, Hulshorst? It wasn’t all perfectly charming. There were tears, tantrums, and a shocking number of missing socks. But… it was real. It was messy. It was ours. And honestly? I can't wait for the next adventure.
Escape to Paradise: Stunning Forest Home in Apeldoorn, NetherlandsEscape to Paradise: Hulshorst's Stunning Pool Home Awaits! - (And My Brain is Already There…) Frequently Asked Questions (ish)
So, what *actually* is this "Escape to Paradise" thing? Is it just a fancy house, or what?
Okay, real talk? It's a house. A flipping gorgeous house. And yes, it *does* have a pool. A really, REALLY tempting pool. Hulshorst, by the sounds of it, is a little slice of heaven in the Netherlands (which, you know, beats the usual clichés of windmills and clogs, though I *do* love a windmill… and clogs, secretly!). Think: luxury living, presumably comfy beds, the whole shebang. They *say* escape... and my credit card is already vibrating with the thought.
Is the pool heated? Because, you know, Netherlands.
Alright, look, I've been Googling this for, like, three hours now. They *mention* the pool, but the devil, as they say, is *always* in the details. Heated? Possibly! I'm clinging to the hope like a drowning man to a pool noodle (pun intended... I've had a week). Because the image in my head is me, floating peacefully, drink in hand, not shivering like a chihuahua in a blizzard. I'm picturing it now... the sun, the gentle water... Oh, I need this more than air. I need to call them ASAP. (Okay, deep breaths. Don't sound *too* desperate.)
What about the "stunning" part? Be honest. Is it *really* stunning? Because marketing people...
Okay, MARKETING. I hear you. "Stunning" is a word that gets thrown around like confetti at a wedding the person hates. But judging from the carefully curated pictures... yeah. It *looks* stunning. Like, the kind of stunning that makes you briefly reconsider your life choices (which, in my case, is daily). I mean, sleek lines, big windows, probably a gourmet kitchen where I'll burn something immediately on the first attempt at a "gourmet" meal. But hey, even burning food can be stunning *if* it's in a stunning house. It’s a risk I’m willing to take. Maybe. The fear of ruining a beautiful kitchen looms large. Anyone know how to assemble a charcuterie board? Asking for a friend... namely, me.
Can I bring my pet goldfish, Bartholomew? (He's very well-behaved.)
Bartholomew! I love Bartholomew. Okay, let's be real, the website probably has a whole section dedicated to pet policies (or a resounding "NO"). But *imagine* the possibilities! Bartholomew in a tiny, luxurious, pool-side aquarium! He'd be living the high life. Of course, I’d have to remember to feed him… which, given my current memory, is a gamble. Call them. Ask. For Bartholomew. (And maybe me.) I'm surprisingly emotional about this. Maybe I just need the break... and Bartholomew needs a vacation. He deserves it. He stares at me all day. Poor guy.
Is it near anything interesting? Besides, you know, the pool...?
Listen, I’m not going to pretend I'm an expert on the Netherlands. (Let’s be real, I barely know where the remote is, let alone European geography.) But the website *probably* mentions some local attractions. Castles? Rolling hills? Cheese? (Please, let there be cheese.) I'm hoping that one day, I'll be lounging by the pool and get bored. Then, I'll have to reluctantly drag myself away, filled with the *disappointment* of having to experience something new and interesting. (The struggle is real, folks.) I'm guessing there's a bakery or two. I'd be devastated if there wasn't. Good coffee, preferably. Don't even get me started on the disappointment of bad coffee.
Okay, so, booking it... how does that *actually* work? And how much is this going to cost me (and my sanity)?
Oh, the cold, hard reality of booking. I just glanced at the, probably hidden, "pricing" section and my eyes did a little dance. Don't panic! Breathe! Okay... maybe... maybe it's time to check my bank account. Will I have to sell a kidney? Maybe a small toe? The website undoubtedly has a booking engine (or, worse, a contact form I'll have to fill out, which is a whole world of potential for typos and embarrassing emails). And then there's the *dreaded* cancellation policy. What if I get a sudden, unavoidable, and utterly devastating urge to… stay home and do laundry? (Okay, unlikely. Pool > Laundry. Always.) I need to find out the deposit requirements; I'm already picturing myself staring at the deposit notification, heart hammering. This is both exhilarating and utterly terrifying. I'm going to need a drink. Perhaps by the pool. Of course (fingers crossed!)
If I go, and I'm guessing this is some version of a "when", what's my absolute, most important thing I need to bring?
Okay, this is serious. The *most* important thing? Other than my passport (duh), and my credit card (DUH), and the sheer will to *escape*? I’d say… a REALLY good book. Something you can get utterly lost in. Something that doesn’t require too much brainpower. Because the point of escaping is to *escape*. A trashy novel? Absolutely. A thrilling page-turner? Yes please! And, maybe, a tiny notebook to jot down all the profound thoughts I'll undoubtedly have while staring at the pool. Or maybe just to scribble down grocery lists and realize I forgot the sunscreen, again. Either way, escape is good. Pool, book, me... perfection. But if I forget the sunscreen... well, the "escape" might become a "roast". And that's not stunning. That's just... red.