Escape to Paradise: Al Azhar Hotel Jeddah Awaits!
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into the shimmering sands of… Escape to Paradise: Al Azhar Hotel Jeddah! Buckle up because this ain't just a hotel review; it's a full-blown, slightly chaotic, hopefully insightful, and definitely honest experience. I'm talking stream-of-consciousness with a dash of OCD-level detail and a sprinkle of "did I really just eat that?"
SEO and Metadata Time!
(Ugh, fine, before we get messy)
- Title: Escape to Paradise: Al Azhar Hotel Jeddah Review - Messy, Honest, and Totally Human! (Accessibility, Food, Safety & More)
- Keywords: Al Azhar Hotel Jeddah, Jeddah hotels, accessibility, wheelchair accessible, spa, swimming pool, restaurants, dining, cleanliness, safety, Wi-Fi, free Wi-Fi, family friendly, kids facilities, Al Azhar review, Saudi Arabia hotels, luxury hotel, budget hotel(s), hotel near airport
- Meta Description: Is the Al Azhar Hotel in Jeddah REALLY an escape to paradise? I spent a messy week there, and here's the brutally honest lowdown. Accessibility, food, safety protocols (phew!), and the all-important "is it Instagram-worthy?" are all on the table. Get ready for my unfiltered review!
- Alt Texts: (For each image, I'd include specific descriptions. For example: "View of the shimmering Jeddah skyline from the hotel pool - definitely Instagrammable!" or "Me, looking utterly lost trying to navigate the buffet - a common occurrence.")
LET'S GO! (And Please, Someone Get Me a Coffee)
Right, so, the Al Azhar. "Escape to Paradise," they boast. Okay, let's see about THAT. First impressions? BIG. Really, REALLY big. Like, "where's my internal GPS?" big. And the lobby? Marble. Gleaming. The kind of marble that screams, "Don't spill your date smoothie on me!"
Accessibility - The Good, the Okay, and the "Well…":
Okay, here's the thing. I'm not in a wheelchair, but I'm always hyper-aware of accessibility because, you know, life. Wheelchair accessible? YES! Elevators galore (thank goodness!), ramps where you need them, and I spotted a few dedicated rooms. The elevator situation was pretty stellar. Never had to wait too long, and it was spacious enough for a wheelchair, luggage, and your overly-excited aunt. Facilities for disabled guests: Definitely present and accounted for. BUT… and there's always a but isn't there? Some of the hallways felt a touch narrow in places. Like, navigating a service trolley and a wheelchair at the same time? Potential for a slight ballet of awkwardness. Facilities for disabled guests and Elevator were the features that saved the day.
The staff were generally helpful. Concierge was fantastic, pointing me in the right direction (and even managing to get me a decent map of the city, which, surprisingly, isn't always easy to come by!).
My Emotional Rollercoaster of a Room…
Let's talk rooms, shall we? (Dramatic pause). I’m a sucker for a good room. They offered a dazzling list of things. Air conditioning? Check. Blackout curtains? Bless them, YES. Essential for battling the relentless Saudi Arabian sun. Safe box? Always a winner. Felt totally secure. Bathtub? Ah, a bathtub! I envisioned myself, legs stretched luxuriously in steaming water, scrolling through Netflix… Alas, my romantic bathtub dream was slightly shattered. The room itself was lovely, and the soundproofing was excellent, but there were weird little quirks. My first room didn't have the best window view. So I made a subtle request and they were great.
There was a Coffee/tea maker and Complimentary tea, which was amazing. Free bottled water? Lifesaver. Bathrobes and slippers? YES, I'm in comfort heaven. The desk was functional. The mirror was gigantic. The shower was… fine. (I’m a shower snob, I confess).
The Internet Saga - A Love/Hate Relationship:
Okay, the internet. It's vital, right? "Free Wi-Fi in All Rooms!" they shouted. And, I mean, it was there. Mostly. Wi-Fi [free] was the key. Sometimes, it was blazing fast. Other times… it was like trying to download a YouTube video on dial-up. Internet access – wireless was available. I occasionally found myself wandering around the halls, desperately seeking a stronger signal. Internet access – LAN was available, but honestly, who uses LAN anymore? The hotel needs to take a hard look at its Internet services. I was forced to use the internet in the lobby!
The Food – My Body is a Temple (of… Mostly Deliciousness):
Ah, the food. The Al Azhar delivers on the food front, at least in terms of sheer variety. Breakfast [buffet]? A glorious, overwhelming spread of everything! Asian breakfast, Western breakfast – you name it, it’s probably there. The best part? The fresh fruit! Coffee/tea in restaurant was a constant presence, which, for me, is a non-negotiable. The restaurants are many, with Western cuisine in restaurant and Asian cuisine in restaurant. Restaurants offering A la carte in restaurant, were available. Be careful though, because you might get lost in the maze of options.
Now, the imperfections. One morning, some of the pancakes tasted… off. Like, "was that yesterday's leftovers?" off. I bravely soldiered on, because #travelbloggerlife, and, thankfully, the rest of the buffet was more than salvageable.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: A Whirlwind of Taste:
- Restaurants: Several! A good mix of vibes, from casual to "dress code required" (which I may or may not have accidentally flouted).
- Coffee shop: Perfect for a quick caffeine fix and a people-watching session.
- Poolside bar: Cocktails! Sundowns! Need I say more?
- Room service [24-hour]: Lifesaver on those late-night, desperately-need-a-snack moments. The food delivery aspect was great.
- Snack bar: Handy for… well, snacks.
- Happy hour: Yes, please!
- Bottle of water: Abundant, thank goodness.
Fitness and Relaxation - Or, My Attempt to Undo All the Buffets:
The Fitness center… well, it existed. I dutifully went there a couple of times, feeling guilty about all the baklava I'd consumed. The equipment was decent, though a bit… sterile? Lacking in that "motivational gym energy." The Spa/sauna was the prize! I spent a gloriously self-indulgent afternoon in the sauna and steamroom, followed by a revitalizing massage. Pure bliss. The pool with view, well, the view was incredible. You can easily find some Body scrub or Body wrap to enjoy.
Cleanliness and Safety - The "Did They REALLY Clean That?" Test:
Okay, this is serious. Given the… current global situation… safety and hygiene are PARAMOUNT. The Al Azhar did a decent job. Safe dining setup: Present and accounted for. Hand sanitizer stations everywhere. Staff trained in safety protocol? Seemed like it. Lots of masks, lots of temperature checks. I did spot Anti-viral cleaning products in use. Rooms sanitized between stays: They said so, and the room felt clean. Professional-grade sanitizing services were in place. Daily disinfection in common areas was noticeable, which was reassuring. Rooms sanitized between stays made the entire experience much safer. Cashless payment service was available.
Things to Do - More Than Just Lounging (Though Lounging is Highly Recommended):
- Swimming pool [outdoor]: Huge, beautiful, and… I didn't spend enough time in it. Rookie mistake.
- Terrace: Perfect for sundowners (see above).
- Gift/souvenir shop: Standard hotel fare.
- Meeting/banquet facilities: Didn't use them, but they looked impressive.
- Kids facilities: Family friendly! I noticed other kids were there, and seemed to be having a grand time.
Services and Conveniences - The Little Things That Make a Difference (or Not):
- Doorman: Always a nice touch.
- Concierge: (Mentioned before, but worth another shout-out).
- Elevator: (Again, vital).
- Laundry service: Essential for a messy traveler like me.
- Daily housekeeping: Spot on.
- Cash withdrawal: Convenient.
- Currency exchange: Useful.
- Luggage storage was available.
- Invoice provided upon request.
**For the Kids -
Unbelievable Spain Getaway: Belvilla's Herradura Hideaway Awaits!Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into a Jeddah adventure, courtesy of… well, me and the glorious (and sometimes slightly dusty, let's be honest) Al Azhar Hotel. Prepare for a trip that's less "perfect itinerary" and more "chronicles of a slightly sleep-deprived, perpetually-hungry tourist."
Day 1: Arrival – Or, How I Almost Called Mom
- 10:00 AM (Jeddah Time, which I am still, after 18 hours of travel, not quite grasping): Land at King Abdulaziz International Airport. The sheer scale of the place nearly made me faint. Seriously, it's like they built an entire city inside a terminal. Immigration? Surprisingly smooth. I mean, aside from the mild panic when they asked me about my intentions. "To eat all the dates," I almost blurted out. Instead, I opted for the more diplomatic "tourism."
- 11:00 AM: Found a taxi. Bargaining? A delicate dance, people. I'm pretty sure I overpaid, but at this point, air conditioning was more important than haggling.
- 11:30 AM: Arrived at Al Azhar Hotel. The lobby is… well, it's a lobby. Functional. The staff, bless their hearts, were incredibly polite, even when I probably looked like a zombie. Check-in took longer than anticipated because I had lost my passport. I found it under a half-eaten croissant. Oops.
- 12:30 PM: Finally in the room! The AC blasted, and I nearly wept with relief. The view – if you can call it that – is a… well, a collection of buildings and the occasional palm tree. But the bed! Oh, the bed. I wanted to dive in and never leave. The thought of the jet lag was making me want to go home.
- 3:00 PM: Lunch at a local restaurant (I'm still trying to remember the name). It was a blur of deliciousness. We ordered something that looked like "chicken and rice." Then they brought out, what was actually, chicken which was perfect and delicious. And the rice, oh my goodness, the rice. Fluffy, fragrant, and apparently, a national treasure. I ate so fast, I'm pretty sure I inhaled half of it.
- 4:00 PM: Old Town (Al-Balad) Wander. Okay, wander is a generous word. I mostly stumbled around, utterly lost in the labyrinthine streets. The architecture is jaw-dropping. Seriously, those coral-stone buildings are something else. I also got thoroughly lost and, for a split second, considered calling my mom. That's when my phone died.
- 6:00 PM: Finally found my way back to the hotel. Exhausted, but with a camera full of photos and a heart full of… well, the beginnings of a love affair with this crazy, chaotic, utterly captivating city.
- 7:00 PM: Shower! The shower was a good shower, the best, no it was perfect.
- 8:00 PM: Dinner at Al Azhar's restaurant. The food was good. Not as exciting as the chicken and rice, though.
- 9:00 PM: Attempting to watch TV, but mostly just staring out the window and wondering what the heck I signed up for.
- 10:00 PM: Lights out. Or, at least, trying to be. My brain is still stuck at "arrival" and is fighting sleep hard.
Day 2: The Red Sea & A Near-Disaster with a Shawarma
- 8:00 AM: Wake up in a daze. Breakfast at the hotel. Standard. It was fine, but I'm starting to crave more adventure in my morning meal. I do not wake up until after 10 AM.
- 9:00 AM: Arrange a driver to take me to the Red Sea. Or, at least I think I did. Communication is, sometimes, a struggle. Fingers crossed he shows up.
- 10:00 AM: The driver did indeed show up! Hooray! The drive to the Red Sea was… well, it was a drive. Saudi Arabia is big, people. I spent most of it admiring the palm trees zipping by and trying to contain my growing excitement for the sea.
- 11:00 AM: Arrived at a beach. The Red Sea! Pristine water, clear blue skies, and the kind of heat that makes you want to spontaneously combust… in the best possible way. Okay, it was HOT. But beautiful. Spent an hour or so there, soaking in the sun, and the peace and quiet and the ocean.
- 1:00 PM: Lunch! I decided to be brave and try a shawarma from a roadside stand. This is where the "near-disaster" comes in. I took a big, glorious bite, and… well, let's just say my stomach did not agree. I spent the next hour feeling vaguely nauseous and regretting all my life choices. This place is too good.
- 2:00 PM: Back to hotel. I watched TV.
- 4:00 PM: Rest and recovery. Did some stretching. Read. I recovered.
- 7:00 PM: Finally, I had a taste of dinner. Went to a local restaurant and enjoyed it.
Day 3: (Hopefully, Not Another Shawarma Incident)
- 8:00 AM: Still alive! Ate more breakfast.
- 9:00 AM: A visit to the Fakieh Aquarium, because, when in Jeddah, you go to the aquarium.
- 12:00 PM: I hope the shawarma incident is a distant memory now and I can order another one with some luck.
- 1:00 PM: Rest time in the hotel.
- 3:00 PM: Exploring the hotel.
- 6:00 PM: Going to a restaurant, that is new to me.
- 9:00 PM: Bedtime
Throughout the Trip:
- The Hotel: The Al Azhar is… clean. The staff are lovely. The Wi-Fi is… well, it exists. The location is decent. I haven't tried the pool, but I might. It's a base camp, really. Not a palace, but it does the job and provides a welcome haven from the sensory overload of Jeddah.
- Food: I'm already obsessed with the dates. I could eat them all day. And the coffee! Strong and delicious. I fear my clothes may never fit again.
- The Vibe: It's different. It's hectic. It's beautiful. It's a culture shock in the best possible way. I'm learning to embrace the chaos. And the heat. Still not entirely convinced about the heat, but I'm trying.
Final Thoughts (At the End of Day 3):
Look, this wasn't the perfectly polished, Instagram-ready trip I might have envisioned. There were moments of confusion, moments of near-panic, and at least one close call with a questionable shawarma. But it's also been full of genuine wonder, unexpected beauty, and a growing appreciation for a place and a culture that are unlike anything I've ever experienced. I’m exhausted, slightly sunburnt, and still trying to figure out the local currency. But I wouldn't trade it for anything. Jeddah, you've got me. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to find more dates. And maybe some antacids.
Escape to Paradise: Luxurious Lith Chalet w/ Stunning Terrace & Garden!