Escape to Paradise: Luxurious Forest Retreat in Erezee, Belgium
Escape to Paradise? More Like a Wild Ride: My Honest Review of Erezee's Luxurious Forest Retreat (And My Unexpected Existential Crisis)
Okay, so "Escape to Paradise" in Erezee, Belgium. The name alone had me expecting angels singing and waterfalls made of prosecco. Reality, as always, was… well, let's just say more "charming forest gnomes" than "heavenly host." This review? Brace yourselves. It's gonna be a bit of a rollercoaster, just like my stay.
First Impressions & Accessibility - Or, How I Almost Became One with the Belgian Dirt
Right, the website promised accessible everything. "Wheelchair accessible," they crowed. "Facilities for disabled guests!" I, being a somewhat clumsy human with a wonky knee after a rogue frisbee incident, was cautiously optimistic. Access to the main areas was mostly okay, but the "accessible" parking… sweet mother of mercy. Picture a gravel driveway that’s seen better centuries. I nearly took a tumble just unloading my bags. (Rant #1: Is it really that hard to pave a freaking driveway?!). Getting around in general was… a challenge. The grounds are sprawling and beautiful, but navigating those uneven paths with even moderate mobility issues felt like an Olympic sport. They do have an elevator, which is a HUGE win, and the rooms themselves are well-equipped. BUT, I'm just saying, if you're relying on a chair or a cane, pack your hiking boots.
Rooms – My Little Forest Fortress (and its Tiny, But Annoying, Imperfections)
I’m an insomniac, so the “blackout curtains” in my room (yes!) were a godsend. Seriously, I could have slept through a nuclear apocalypse. The bed? Heavenly. Extra-long, which is a bonus for us lanky folk. (Anecdote alert: I’m five foot ten and usually have to sleep diagonally. Not here! Luxury!) The little touches like bathrobes, slippers (very important!), and complimentary tea actually did make me feel like I was in a place of luxurious escape. They even had a scale! This is important to me, because, let's be honest, all the delicious food I was about to shove into my face needed to be monitored.
The little things? The complimentary little bottles of water – always appreciated. The internet access (Wi-Fi, LAN, the works!) was fast and reliable – vital for someone who works remotely, like me, but also desperate for streaming my guilty pleasure: Below Deck. The room also had a balcony, although I couldn't open my window, which felt suffocating in the morning.
The annoying things? Oh, the little things! The phone in the bathroom (WHY?!) was a relic from the 80s. And the hairdryer…it felt like it belonged in a museum and had about as much power as a dying hamster. (Emotional Reaction: I almost cried when I realised I couldn't get my hair dry.) But hey, those are minor inconveniences, right?
Food, Glorious Food (and the Existential Dread That Came With It)
Alright, let's talk about the sustenance. The dining options were a mixed bag. They had a breakfast buffet, which, let's be honest, is the ultimate test of a hotel's soul. It was good. Decent coffee, pastries, a waffle station which saved my morning, and both Western and Asian breakfast options. The buffet in the restaurant was the definition of decent. Nothing amazing, but it was enough to keep me alive and happy. The breakfast takeaway service if you missed breakfast was appreciated.
The restaurants themselves were a culinary adventure. The Asian cuisine was actually pretty good, but again, nothing particularly memorable. They also had a vegetarian restaurant - bonus points for inclusivity. (Quirky Observation: Seeing as the hotel is in the middle of a forest, I half expected to see an actual forest creature in the restaurants, eating next to me).
The bar? Excellent. The poolside bar especially. (Double Down Experience) Picture this: I'm sprawled out on a sun lounger, cocktail in hand, gazing at the stunning pool with a view… and BAM! Pure, unadulterated bliss. Then, I started to think about climate change, and the rising sea levels. Suddenly, I was fighting down a wave of existential dread while simultaneously polishing off a mini-pizza, a cocktail and deciding I needed a poolside bar for the rest of my life to live without it and get past my dread.
Relaxation & Wellness – Did I Find My Inner Zen, or Just a Really Nice Sauna?
The spa! Oh, the spa. This is where "Paradise" got a little closer to the mark. They had a sauna, a steamroom, and a massage – all absolute necessities for this weary traveler. I booked a Body scrub and a Body wrap. (Rambling Alert: I swear, I think during the body scrub, I actually saw my worries floating away!) The gym/fitness, on the other hand, was a let-down. A tiny, dingy room with equipment that looked like it was salvaged from a garage sale. But seriously, I went to escape, I wasn't planning on doing a marathon workout session.
The pool, again, was gorgeous. And the fact they had a pool with a view, was what sold it for me, however it was cold as hell.
Cleanliness & Safety – The Covid-19 Conundrum
Right, the pandemic. Let's be honest, we're all a little jumpy about it. This place tried. They offered Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, and Rooms sanitized between stays. They had Hand sanitizer EVERYWHERE. The staff were all wearing masks, and the Safe dining setup was appreciated. The Physical distancing of at least 1 meter was enforced. However, I sometimes questioned the depth of clean. The shared stationery had been removed. They offered Individually-wrapped food options
Services & Conveniences – The Good, The Bad, and the "Wait, What?"
The Concierge were helpful. They arranged a taxi service (essential!), but I can't lie: they weren’t always particularly quick. The Laundry service was fantastic – I've never seen my shirts so crisp! They had a Convenience store which was helpful. The luggage storage was handy for the long hike when you missed breakfast. The Daily housekeeping was, well, a good thing.
But then there were the oddities. A Shrine? Really? In the middle of the forest? It was a bit bizarre. The smoking area felt like a lonely outpost. And the lack of pets allowed was a tragedy for me – I missed my dog!
They offered a Babysitting service and were listed as being Family/child friendly.
Things to Do & Getting Around – Beyond the Spa
Erezee itself is a charming little town. They offered Airport transfer, but I had no use for it. They had Car park [free of charge] and Car park [on-site].
The Verdict – Paradise or Just a Really Nice Break?
So, "Escape to Paradise?" Look, it's not perfect. It has its quirks, its flaws, and its minor inconveniences (that driveway!). The accessibility could definitely improve. But. But. Overall, it was a damn good break. The setting is beautiful (once you get past the gravel!), the rooms are comfy, and the spa is a lifesaver. If you're looking for a relaxing getaway, a place to recharge, and maybe face your existential demons (kidding…mostly), Escape to Paradise is worth a shot (while you're there try the beer!).
Rating: 7.5/10 (Could do better with that driveway!)
Keywords (SEO & Metadata): Escape to Paradise, Erezee, Belgium, Forest Retreat, Luxury Hotel, Spa, Sauna, Massage, Swimming Pool, Wheelchair Accessible, Accessible Hotel, Belgium Travel, Forest Getaway, Wellness Retreat, Relaxing Vacation, COVID-19 Safety, Review, Hotel Review, Spa Review, Accessible Travel, Belgian Ardennes, Romantic Getaway, Family Friendly, Fine Dining, Asian Cuisine, Vegetarian Cuisine, Breakfast Buffet.
Escape to Paradise: Your Dream Holiday Awaits in Espere, France!Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your grandma's rigid itinerary. This is Erezee, Belgium, raw and unfiltered, coming at you live from… well, from my brain, currently stuffed with anticipation and maybe a little bit of pre-vacation anxiety. Let's see if we can navigate this Pleasant Holiday Home situation without completely losing it.
The "Erezee Escape" - A Schedule (Maybe) and a Therapy Session (Definitely)
Day 1: Arrival, Errands, and Existential Dread (Okay, mostly just being tired)
- 10:00 AM (ish): Brussels Airport. Okay, the flight was… fine. You know, packed like sardines, screaming toddlers. I've already decided I'm NEVER having children. Anyway, we land. The rental car situation? A comedy of errors. I swear, the guy at Avis was speaking faster than a caffeinated squirrel and I felt my French (or my non-existent ability to understand quickly-spoken French) crumble. "Oui, madame, très vite!" he'd say, and then poof, I’m signing my life away.
- 11:30 AM: Road trip to Erezee! The sat-nav lady, thankfully, is a soothing beacon of digital calmness. The countryside… gorgeous, naturally. Forests, rolling hills, enough greenery to cure even the most jaded city dweller. I start picturing the "relaxation" I'll be having.
- 1:00 PM: Arrival at the Pleasant Holiday Home. Ooh, it's cute! I mean, really cute. Big windows, a fireplace… the kind of place that screams "cozy up!" and I immediately start picturing myself curled up with a book and a giant mug of something warm. Then, bam, I realize I forgot to buy coffee.
- 1:30 PM: Grocery store scramble. This is where the reality of "living abroad" hits hard. The products are different, the signs… incomprehensible. I spent 20 minutes staring at a shelf of what I think was supposed to be yogurt, while a very judgmental elderly Belgian lady silently judged my lack of grocery shopping skills. Victory: coffee bought, breakfast bars, and bread. Minor setback: forgot the cheese "again", again.
- 3:00 PM: Unpacking and House Inspection. Okay, the house is lovely, but the couch situation… It's like it's been pre-broken in. Time to re-arrange the living room, now!
- 5:00 PM: Fireplace prep. After an hour, I successfully managed to get the fire going, although the whole thing started smoking. The fire alarms were ringing, and for a moment, that was the least thing I worried about. I've always believed I should never go camping or live in a house with a chimney.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner. (Cheese and crackers again). Then, a big, long, soul-searching call from the house, and then a massive yawn. And sleep, for sure.
Day 2: Forest Frenzy and Culinary Calamities
- 9:00 AM: Wake up! The sun is shining, the birds are chirping… and my back is killing me from sleeping on whatever strange mattress situation we have going on here. (Side note: Where are the decent pillows in this entire country?).
- 10:00 AM: Hike into the Erezee forest. This is why we came! The forest is breathtaking. The smell of pine, the dappled sunlight… utterly magical. We walk, and walk. I get lost. Completely, utterly lost. The "easy" trail turned into a mountain climb. My fitness watch is screaming. My legs are burning. At one point, I'm convinced I'm going to be eaten by a badger. Eventually… we see a deer. Beautiful, truly beautiful and made the trip a lot more worth it!
- 1:00 PM: Lunch. A sad picnic of leftover cheese and the last of the bread. Feeling a bit defeated by the forest and by my own stupidity.
- 3:00 PM: Attempt to bake something. Okay, this might be a mistake. I'm no baker. Read the instructions. I think. The results are… questionable. Burnt around the edges, raw in the middle. Disaster! I feel a bit sad and sorry for myself. We eat it anyway, because hunger.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner. We go for a stroll in the charming town Erezee, and then we order pizza. The best decision of the day.
- 8:00 PM: Staring at a fireplace, then, a book. This is more like it.
Day 3: Spa Day? Erm…. More Like Disaster.
- 9:00 AM: Wake up. Okay, decided to get out of the house, and have a spa day.
- 10:00 AM: Spa. Apparently, there's a spa. This is the moment to get pampered, get some relaxation, and breathe.
- Nope, the spa is closed.
- 11:00 AM: Go for a drive. Drive around, see more of Belgium, and enjoy the weather.
- 1:00 PM: Go to a restaurant. Order food. And, maybe eat some food.
- 3:00 PM: Go back to the holiday home.
- 4:00 PM: Watch a movie, eat snacks.
Day 4: Erezee Finale - Trying to Remember What "Relaxation" Feels Like
- 9:00 AM: Wake up. (Again, with the achy back).
- 10:00 AM: Final forest walk. This time, sticking to the marked paths, thank you very much. Admiring the leaves. Enjoying the quiet. Actually feeling relaxed.
- 12:00 AM: Brunch. The last of the cheese, bread, and a desperate attempt at scrambled eggs. They aren’t terrible.
- 2:00 PM: Pack. Sigh. The end is near. I actually feel a little sad to leave this quirky little house. Even with the burnt baked goods and the near-death experience in the forest, I've kind of fallen in love with Erezee.
- 4:00 PM: Head to the airport. Driving, driving, driving. I was going to miss it.
- 7:00 PM: Goodbye, Erezee! (For now).
Postscript: Did I achieve peak relaxation? Maybe not. Did I experience some minor mishaps and moments of existential terror? Absolutely. Did it somehow end up feeling absolutely perfect? Funny. I wouldn't change a thing (except maybe the ability to understand the yogurt section of the grocery store). And maybe, just maybe, I'll return to Erezee someday. With a better pillow.
Escape to Tuscany: Luxurious Belvilla Getaway in Italy's Hidden Gem!Escape to Paradise: Erezee Edition - You've Got Questions, I've Got...Answers (Maybe?)
(Okay, so I just got back from Erezee. Picture this: me, slightly jet-lagged, fueled by Belgian chocolate, and ready to spill the beans. Or, you know, answer some FAQs. Bear with me, it’s gonna be a wild ride.)So, is this "Escape to Paradise" place actually…paradise? Like, a real-life slice of heaven?
Alright, let's be honest. Paradise is a BIG word. And frankly, my idea of paradise involves unlimited pizza and a never-ending supply of fluffy towels. But... Erezee? It's *close*. Think ridiculously green hills, that crisp mountain air that makes you feel alive, and a silence so profound you can *hear* other people enjoying the quiet. It’s not perfect, mind you. I stubbed my toe on a cobblestone path (a minor, yet deeply annoying event), and the WiFi was… temperamental. But the overall vibe? Yeah, pretty darn close to idyllic.
What's the best part about staying there? Like, the REAL best part, not just the brochure fluff?
Okay, no hesitation here: the fireplace. Seriously. Picture this: it's a chilly autumn evening, the rain's pattering gently against the windows, and you're curled up on an oversized sofa, a book in one hand, a glass of something amber and warming in the other, and a glorious, crackling fire blazing away. The *smell* of the wood smoke, the warmth radiating out… honestly, I almost didn't leave the living room for three days. It was utter bliss. They even provided the wood! Now that's what I call hospitality. Side note: tried to start one myself back home and nearly set the curtain on fire – totally different experience somehow.
And the worst part? Gotta be something...
Ugh, the mosquitos! They were relentless. Like, I'm talking ninja mosquitos. They'd find a way in, even with all the windows closed and the fancy nets the place advertised. I'm normally a lightweight when it comes to bug bites, but I looked like I had the measles after a couple of days. I swear, they're plotting world domination. Pack bug spray, people! Seriously, more bug spray than you think you'll need. And maybe a hazmat suit. Just kidding... mostly.
Were the rooms as luxurious as they claim? Because, you know... Instagram can be deceiving.
Okay, real talk: the rooms *were* pretty darn luxurious. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud – I actually contemplated trying to smuggle it back in my suitcase. The bathroom was HUGE, with a giant tub that I maybe, just maybe, spent an embarrassingly long amount of time in. And the view from the balcony? Stunning. However, there was a tiny, almost imperceptible crack in the tile of the bathroom. So, full marks for luxury, *almost* flawless. Don't look too close... it’s just the kind of minor imperfection that makes the whole thing feel… genuine. And, okay, maybe I dropped something heavy on the floor, and that's how the crack appeared. Oops.
Food! Tell me about the food! Did you find any amazing local restaurants?
Oh, the food. Where do I even begin? The breakfast at the retreat was...well, let's just say it was a continental affair. Croissants, bread rolls, some cheese… fine, but not exactly mind-blowing. But! Discovering the local *friterie* (chip shop, for those non-Belgians) was a game changer. Seriously, the fries were divine. Crispy, golden, perfect. And the mayo? My god, the mayo! I may or may not have eaten an entire cone of fries and mayo for lunch every single day. Regret? Absolutely not. Also, try the local Belgian chocolate. Don't even bother with the diet, just embrace the deliciousness. I’m still dreaming about the stuff. Seriously. I need to go back for the chocolate alone.
What activities are there to do nearby? Hiking, cycling, etc.? And did you actually do any of them?
Yes! There are tons of activities. Hiking trails galore. Cycling paths weaving through the stunning forests. You know, all the things that healthy, nature-loving people do. Did *I* do any of them? Well… I *intended* to hike. I packed my boots. I downloaded a hiking app. But then, the fireplace. And the comfy sofa. And the book. And the mosquitos. Look, I *did* walk to the friterie. Several times. Does that count? There was, however, one glorious afternoon where I wandered through the forest, and it was absolutely magical. Then I got lost and panicked for a bit. Found my way back eventually. Embrace the journey, people, even when it involves mild panic.
How was the service at the retreat? Friendly? Efficient? Non-existent?
Friendly. Absolutely friendly. The staff was super helpful, always with a smile. Although, I did have a minor issue with the television (I couldn't figure out how to work it – apparently, I'm technologically challenged), and it took a while for someone to come and help me. Turns out, I was pointing the remote in the wrong direction. Embarrassing. But, they handled it with grace and even offered me a complimentary bottle of wine for my troubles. So, yeah, A+ service! Now, the WiFi… that's a different story. But they can't be perfect, right?
Is it kid-friendly? Because my little monsters...
Hmm. Kid-friendly... it depends. I'd say it's *mostly* kid-friendly. There's open space for them to run around in, and you know, the fresh air will probably knock them out early. There isn't a dedicated playground or kids' club, which could be a problem if your little darlings need constant entertainment. But I saw a family there, and the kids seemed to be happy enough exploring the grounds. However, I got the distinct impression that if my nieces and nephews, who are miniature tornadoes in human form, were unleashed there, chaos might ensue. Peaceful relaxation? Guaranteed. Peaceful relaxation with toddlers? Potentially a gamble. Bring earplugs. and a lot of patience.