Montpellier Sun-Kissed Getaway: Goelia Sun City Awaits!
Montpellier Sun-Kissed Getaway: Goelia Sun City Awaits! - A Review That's Really Honest (and Messy)
Okay, buckle up, buttercups! I just got back from the Goelia Sun City in Montpellier, and well… it’s been a journey. This isn't your polished TripAdvisor review, folks. This is the unfiltered, messy, honest-to-goodness truth. Prepare yourselves, because sometimes I really loved it, and sometimes… well, let’s just say I contemplated setting the smoke alarm off with a croissant.
First Impressions… And the Quest for the Room (Accessibility & Getting There)
The website promised a sun-drenched paradise. Reality? Well, it started with the airport transfer. Finding it wasn't too bad (thanks to the helpful – and surprisingly patient – driver), but the actual hotel… Let's just say my GPS had a field day. The signs could be clearer, and the parking, while technically on-site and technically free, was a bit of a free-for-all. Finding a spot felt like winning the lottery. (Car park [free of charge] - check! Car park [on-site] - check! But, um, prepare for a challenge.)
Now, accessibility. This is where things got… complicated. (Wheelchair accessible – listed. Elevator - check.) They say it's accessible, and there are elevators. But navigating the hallways with my suitcase felt like a slalom course designed by a sadist. It's possible, but it's not seamless. The entrance definitely needed improvement, especially if you're in a chair. I felt a bit of a pang when I saw another guest struggle to maneuver their wheelchair near the entrance, maybe they should have had better ramp.
The Room: Good, Bad, and the Great Mystery of the Blackout Curtains
Okay, the room. (Available in all rooms: Air conditioning, Bathrobes, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens.)
It was… fine. Clean-ish. The air conditioning worked, thankfully. (Air conditioning – check!) The bed was, miraculously, comfortable. ( Extra-long bed – check! ). The bathroom was… a bathroom. Nothing spectacular, but it had everything I needed. (Private bathroom, Separate shower/bathtub, Towels – check check check).
Now, the blackout curtains. (Blackout curtains – check!) They seemed determined to defeat me. I swear, they’d only almost close, leaving this sliver of light that woke me up at the crack of dawn. I spent a good hour wrestling with them on the first day. (Okay, maybe two. Don't judge!) It was such a small thing, but it drove me bananas. (Soundproofing – check! But, the curtains were the silent enemy).
Internet, Internet Everywhere (But… Is it Good?)
I CANNOT stress this enough: Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! (Wi-Fi [free] – check!) And, for those of you who like to actually get work done (unlike me, who primarily uses it for Instagram and ordering room service), there’s also (Internet access – LAN – check!) Thank God. It was fairly reliable, though I did have a moment where I almost started crying when my video call cut out mid-sentence. But it got back up again. (Internet – check!)
Food, Glorious Food (Or Not…)
Let’s talk grub. (Restaurants, Breakfast [buffet], Coffee shop, Poolside bar, Snack bar, Room service [24-hour], A la carte in restaurant, Alternative meal arrangement, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Bar, Bottle of water, Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Desserts in restaurant, Happy hour, International cuisine in restaurant, Salad in restaurant, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant.)
Breakfast was a buffet. (Breakfast [buffet] – check!). And… oh, how to put this delicately? It was… a buffet. Think lukewarm scrambled eggs, suspiciously pale bacon, and a selection of bread that was less "artisan" and more "stale-san". The coffee, though, was surprisingly decent. The fresh croissants were delightful, and kept me going.
One night, I decided to be fancy and order room service. (Room service [24-hour] – check!) The menu was… extensive. The food arrived quickly, but the presentation was a bit… underwhelming. I ordered a burger (safe bet, right?) and it was… edible. Let's leave it at that.
The poolside bar, however, was a different story entirely! (Poolside bar - check!). The cocktails were strong, the view was stunning (pool with view - check!), and it was the perfect place to drown my curtain-related sorrows.
Relaxation & Pampering: The Spa Saga
Ah, the spa. (Spa, Sauna, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Massage, Body scrub, Body wrap, Foot bath, Gym/fitness, Fitness center.) I was really looking forward to some serious R&R. And, on the whole, it was pretty good.
The sauna was hot, the steam room… steamy. The massage was… nice. Not mind-blowing, but certainly relaxing. I treated myself to a body scrub. And, you know what? It was heavenly. Suddenly, all the minor annoyances melted away. It reminded me that things could be okay. It helped remind me to live in the moment.
The pool area was what I expected: (Swimming pool [outdoor] – check! Pool with view – check!) It wasn't too crowded, the water was clean, and the view… well, the view was the real star of the show. I'm not gonna lie, I spent a lot of time just floating and pretending I didn't have a care in the world.
Cleanliness, Safety & the Sanitization Situation
Okay, in the post-pandemic world, this is crucial. (Cleanliness and safety, Anti-viral cleaning products, Cashless payment service, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer, Hot water linen and laundry washing, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment.) And Goelia Sun City was… pretty good.
They were clearly trying. Hand sanitizer was readily available. The staff wore masks. Everything seemed pretty clean. I felt relatively safe, which is a huge relief. However, there was a moment where I saw a staff member use the same rag to wipe down both the tables and the cutlery. I’m not gonna lie, that gave me pause.
Things To Do (Beyond the Pool)
Montpellier itself is a beautiful city, and the hotel offered a decent base for exploration. (Things to do – listed). The concierge was helpful with recommendations (although sometimes a bit swamped). I’d definitely recommend checking out the city’s famous Place de la Comédie and the charming, winding streets of the old town. If you can, take a day trip to the nearby beaches.
And The Quirks…Oh, the Quirks!
- The elevator music. It was the same, slightly off-key rendition of elevator music on repeat. I swear, I’m still hearing it in my head.
- The gift shop. It was tiny and mostly contained overpriced postcards and some rather sad-looking souvenirs.
- The lack of plugs. I swear, I had to unplug the mini-fridge to charge my phone.
Verdict (The Rambling Conclusion)
Would I go back? Probably. Despite the quirks, the Goelia Sun City has a certain charm. It’s not perfect, and it's a bit rough around the edges. But, in a weird way, that's part of its appeal. If you're looking for a perfectly polished, sterile experience, this isn't it. But if you're after a reasonably priced, sun-kissed getaway with a beautiful view and a good pool (plus a spa), it's worth considering. Just remember to pack some earplugs and a strong sense of humor.
Final Rating: 3.5 out of 5 croissants. Needs work; but don't write them just yet.
Escape to Paradise: Your Dream Holiday Home in Belgium's ArdennesAlright, buckle up, buttercups! Because I'm about to unleash my utterly chaotic, brutally honest, and probably slightly smelly travel itinerary for a week at the Appart'hotel Goelia Sun City in Montpellier, France. Prepare for more rambles than a sheep farmer, more emotional whiplash than a rollercoaster, and enough imperfections to make you think you wrote it.
Appart'hotel Goelia Sun City: Montpellier Mayhem - My (Mostly) Unfiltered Experience
Day 1: Arrival! (And a near-miss with early-onset hangry-ness)
- Morning: The flight was thankfully uneventful, which is a win in my book because airplane food is basically despair in edible form. Arrived at Montpellier airport. Found what I thought was a reasonably priced taxi (yeah, right, everything sounds cheap until you see the bill, don't they?).
- Afternoon: Checked into the Goelia Sun City. "Sun City," huh? Let's hope the sun actually shows up. The apartment? Perfectly functional, if a little… beige. It's clean, that's what matters! Unpacked. Immediately realized I’d packed, like, eight pairs of shoes and only one functional sock. This is what I call a classic, right?
- Late Afternoon: Discovered the utter joy of French grocery shopping. I walked into a supermarket, saw ALL the cheeses, and nearly fainted. Seriously, the sheer selection is overwhelming. Ended up buying enough cheese to feed a small army. That was a good thing, I really needed some cheese. The only problem, was that I didn't get enough bread, if there is such thing.
- Evening: Attempted to cook a simple dinner. "Attempted" being the operative word. Remember that cheese army? Well, that's what I ate. And wine. Lots and lots of wine. Dinner, a disaster. Morale, still high.
- Impression: Feeling optimistic. The apartment is fine. The cheese is divine. The wine is flowing. My French is, let's be honest, nonexistent, but a smile goes a long way, right? Already feeling the pressure of time.
Day 2: Wandering and Wonder (and a near-miss with a street performer)
- Morning: Woke up to sunshine! Finally! Strolled (more like, stumbled) into the historic center of Montpellier: Place de la Comédie. Oh. My. GOD. That fountain! The architecture is stunning. Absolutely gorgeous. I’m already thinking of coming here.
- Afternoon: Ended up lost (surprise!), which led me down some tiny, winding streets, full of character. Found a cute café and attempted to order a coffee in my truly awful French. The waiter gave me a look that said either, “Bless your heart,” or, “Go back where you came from.” Could have gone either way.
- Late Afternoon: Witnessed a street performer doing some insane juggling. He was mesmerizing. I actually nearly tripped over a small child while trying to get a better view.
- Evening: Found a tiny restaurant serving fantastic local food. The portions were enormous, and I actually managed to order something vaguely coherent! Celebrated with more wine because, France. I really shouldn't be drinking this much.
- Impression: Montpellier is utterly charming. My French is still terrible, but I'm having a blast. My feet are killing me. Need more cheese.
Day 3: Beach Day! (And a Brush with the Salty Sea)
- Morning: Decided to take the tram to the beach at Palavas-Les-Flots. The tram system is ridiculously efficient, honestly. Which is a good job, right? Thought, at least, I'll make it to the beach, not like, five hours later.
- Afternoon: Spent the afternoon basking in the sun (when it wasn't hiding behind a cloud), swimming, people-watching. The sea was glorious! I even attempted to surf a tiny little wave and nearly drowned.
- Late Afternoon: Got a terrible sunburn. Seriously, I look like a lobster. Applied copious amounts of aloe vera, which only slightly soothed the burn and mostly made me smell like a cactus. Bought a beach hat.
- Evening: Ate dinner on the beach, watched the sunset (spectacular), felt utterly content. However, I can feel the sunburn is really getting to me.
- Impression: Beach days are the best days, even when you’re a lobster. Definitely need to re-evaluate my sun protection strategy.
Day 4: Wine Tasting and a Near Disaster (The cheese is starting to smell.)
- Morning: Booked a wine-tasting tour in the Languedoc region. Excited! This should be one of the greatest days! They had to pick me up at the appart'hotel.
- Afternoon: Wine tasting! Oh. My. God. The wine was divine. The scenery was stunning. I, however, was slightly less stunning by the last vineyard. Let's just say I'm a lightweight.
- Late Afternoon: Attempted to navigate back to the apartment. I'm not even sure how. Somehow ended up in a park, vaguely trying to sing French folk songs. Regretting my cheese-purchasing decisions.
- Evening: Managed to get back to the apartment and collapsed. The cheese had started to… develop a personality. The smell, though, it wasn't that bad.
- Impression: Wine is delicious, but I need to pace myself. Need to apologize to the park.
Day 5: Art and Architecture (And a Moment of Total Chaos)
- Morning: Decided to be "cultured." Visited the Musée Fabre. The art was beautiful (and a welcome escape from the sun). I'm glad I did.
- Afternoon: Got lost again, this time in a museum. Honestly, how do I manage this? Found some gorgeous architecture (the old cathedral!).
- Late Afternoon: Attempted to buy groceries. The supermarket was PACKED. People were pushing and shoving. The noise! The chaos! I almost had a full-blown panic attack. Escaped with a bag of chips and a strong desire for a quiet life.
- Evening: Ate chips in silence in my apartment. Feeling incredibly tired.
- Impression: Sometimes, museums are lovely. Sometimes, I just need a bag of chips. Or maybe… more cheese.
Day 6: Repeat of Day 3 (But with Slightly More Sunscreen), and a farewell dinner
- Morning: Off to the beach! Armed with SPF 50 this time. Learned my lesson.
- Afternoon: Sun, sand, sea. Bliss.
- Late Afternoon: Getting a bit sad the trip is coming to an end.
- Evening: Fancy dinner. Ate at this very cool restaurant. Ate a lot. Had a lot more wine.
Day 7: Au Revoir, Montpellier! (And a Vow to Learn French)
- Morning: Packed. Attempted to leave the apartment in something resembling a tidy state. Failed.
- Afternoon: Taxi to the airport. Flight home. Already missing Montpellier.
- Evening: Back home. Washed some of my smelly clothes. Vowed to learn French. (Yeah, right).
- Impression: Montpellier, you were wonderful. Apartment was good. Next time… less wine, more cheese, and definitely a phrasebook.
Final Thoughts:
So, there you have it. My utterly messy, chaotic, and imperfect week in Montpellier. Did I conquer all my fears? No. Did I eat too much cheese? Absolutely. Did I have an amazing time? You bet your bottom dollar.
Montpellier, I'll be back. And next time… I'm bringing a translator!
Escape to Paradise: Your Dreamy Gransdorf Garden Apartment Awaits!Okay, so Montpellier Sun-Kissed Getaway: Goelia Sun City – Is it actually *sun-kissed*? Don't lie to me. I've been burned before (literally, on a beach in Ibiza...).
Alright, alright! Deep breaths. Yes, it *mostly* is. Let's be honest, it's Montpellier, not Seattle. You're likely to get a decent dose of Vitamin D. I went in late May, and it was glorious. Every morning, the sun just blasted through the windows. Actually, once, I woke up SO early, the sun was already screaming in, and I thought, “Ugh, already?!” Which is a good sign, yeah? Though, one day it *did* briefly cloud over. Disaster! Kidding... mostly. We still sat on the balcony, grumbling about the injustice of it all with our morning coffee. So, yeah, expect sun. Pack sunscreen. Seriously. The French take their tanning seriously (and I'm not judging, mostly envious of their effortless chic).
What even *is* Goelia Sun City? Is it a hotel prison disguised as a resort? (I've had some bad experiences, okay?!)
Haha! No, no prison. Unless you count the prison of wanting to stay longer. It's a residence, basically apartments, which is kinda cool. You get your own little space. My apartment was… charming. Okay, it was a bit dated, I won’t lie. Think Grandma’s summer house, but with a balcony that overlooked the pool. And the pool? That's where the magic happens. Imagine: turquoise water, the gentle hum of conversations in a language you don't quite understand (French, duh!), and… the kids. Oh, the kids are everywhere, bless their little hearts (and their parents, who probably needed this vacation more than anyone). The point is, it's relaxed. Not stuffy. You can wear your swimsuit all day, cook your own meals (or not, which is what I did, mostly.), and truly chill. No forced smiles or awkward interactions with the front desk (unless you try to check out without paying, which, you know... don't). It’s more “home away from home” than “luxury hotel.”
The pool... tell me *everything* about the pool! Because, honestly, a good pool can make or break a vacation.
Okay, the pool. This is where I spent probably 80% of my time. I'm a pool person, through and through. Sun City’s pool is glorious. Actually, scratch that, it's *mostly* glorious. It's big, it's clean (I think!), and it's surrounded by those classic blue and white striped sun loungers. Perfection! Except, there were ALWAYS people. Like, ALWAYS. I'm talking a full-on aquatic social club. Getting a lounger close to the pool was a competitive sport, people were out there staking their claim with towels at dawn! I'm not kidding, I saw one woman put a massive inflatable flamingo and a half-eaten croissant on a lounger before she even went for breakfast. Savage! But, despite the apparent lounger wars, the pool itself was divine. I spent hours floating around, reading, people-watching (my favorite pastime, really). And the kids? They were a constant source of entertainment... and occasional splashes. (One small boy decided my head was a great place to launch himself from… I’m still finding chlorine in my hair, honestly.) One thing though... the pool temperature? It was *freezing* some days! Not ideal for a leisurely swim. More like a bracing, teeth-chattering dip. But hey, at least it wakes you up, right?
Is it family-friendly? Because I'm either traveling with a small army of rugrats or desperately trying to avoid them.
Yes, it is *very* family-friendly. Like, the rugrats are everywhere. So if you’re looking for a quiet, romantic getaway, maybe Sun City isn’t your best bet. (Though you *could* try earplugs... and lots of wine.) There's a kids' club, which seemed to be a hit (mostly because I heard many, MANY happy screams coming from it). There's a playground. There’s… well, there’s a lot of kids. They were mostly well-behaved (bless them, really), but there were definitely times I wanted to run screaming for the hills (or at least a quiet bar with a very strong cocktail). If you’re *with* kids, it’s great. If you’re *without* kids… well, pack your headphones. And patience. Lots and lots of patience. On the plus side, because it's geared towards families, the whole place is very safe. I never felt worried about anything, which is a major plus in my book.
How far is it from Montpellier itself? I want culture, I want food, I want adventure! (And maybe a nap.)
Sun City isn’t smack-bang in the city center, but fear not, it’s VERY accessible. You need a car, which is a pain, but hey, it’s necessary. The drive to Montpellier is manageable, maybe 15-20 minutes, depending on the traffic (and the French drivers, who… let's just say, have their own style). Once you’re in Montpellier, it’s AMAZING! The city is gorgeous, with winding streets, beautiful squares, and tons of amazing restaurants. I spent a day just wandering around, getting lost (in the best way possible), and soaking up the atmosphere. The food… oh, the food! I ate so much deliciousness, I’m pretty sure I gained five pounds. (Worth it.) And the markets! Fresh produce, local delicacies… it was a feast for the senses. So yes, it’s a great base for exploring Montpellier. Just be prepared for the drive, and maybe download some podcasts to keep you entertained. (Or, like me, sing badly along to the radio.)
What about food *at* Sun City? If I get hungry between pool sessions, what are my options besides raiding the vending machine in my PJs?
Okay, here's the honest truth about food at Sun City: It's… not a culinary mecca. You're mostly self-catering. There's a small shop on-site, but it's pretty basic. Think bread, milk, some questionable-looking processed meats... I did stock up on some essentials, though. I had pasta. I had eggs. I made some truly epic (read: basic) breakfasts. But honestly? I ate out most of the time. Montpellier has so many amazing restaurants! If you *must* eat at Sun City itself, there is something. I think there was a poolside bar that served… *something*. I can’t remember much. They have pizza, though. That I remember. And let's be clear, it's not gourmet pizza. But after a day of sun and swimming? It hits the spot. (Don’t expect miracles.) My advice? Stock up on snacks, plan some simple meals, and then EXPLORE THE CITY'S FOOD SCENE. So much better.
Any hidden gems or quirky tips I should know BEFORE I go? Something the brochures won't tell me?
Oh, yes. Absolutely. Because that's what makes a trip really memorable,Hotels Near Your