Escape to Paradise: Your Dream Thuringia Holiday Home Awaits!
Escape to Paradise: Turns Out, Paradise Has a Few Hiccups (But Mostly Bliss) - A Thuringia Holiday Home Review
(SEO & Metadata Stuff - Don't Worry, I'll Get to the Juicier Bits Later!)
Keywords: Thuringia accommodation, Germany vacation, holiday home, accessible travel, spa resort, family-friendly, wellness retreat, luxury stay, hotel review, Thuringia holiday, accessible rooms, swimming pool, sauna, on-site restaurants, free Wi-Fi, adventure travel, family getaway, romantic escape, Escape to Paradise, Thuringia review, accessible hotel, spa vacation, German holiday, hotel with pool, Thuringia travel, best hotels Thuringia
Meta Description: Is "Escape to Paradise" in Thuringia REALLY paradise? Spoiler alert: almost! My brutally honest review covers everything from the amazing pool views and spa treatments to the (minor!) quirks and the surprisingly good Asian cuisine. Find out if this holiday home lives up to the hype, with real-life anecdotes and seriously unfiltered opinions.
(Okay, Time to Get Real!)
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because I just got back from "Escape to Paradise" in Thuringia, and let me tell you, it was…an experience. "Paradise?" Well, let’s just say it's more like "Paradise with a Side of Slightly Rusty Hardware." But hey, that’s life, right? And honestly, the good FAR outweighed the, shall we say, character-building bits.
Accessibility: Mostly Wonderful, but a Few Stumbles (Literally, Maybe?)
I need to start here because, well, I need it. The website boasted accessibility, and that was a major draw for me. And for the most part, they delivered. The wheelchair accessible rooms were genuinely accessible, with wide doorways and roll-in showers. Bonus points for the grab bars! The elevator was a lifesaver, especially after indulging in the delicious (and numerous) meals. They even had a facilities for disabled guests, which included a ramp to the main entrance and a few helpful staff who were REALLY trying their best to assist. But… and there’s always a but, isn't there? The access to the outdoor pool area involved a bit of a tricky slope, and I'm pretty sure I almost ate it a couple of times. They could do with a ramp there. And though the facilities for disabled guests were commendable, it seemed a bit cobbled together in places, like they were still figuring things out. Minor niggles, mind you. But worth noting.
On-Site Restaurants & Lounges: From Asian Delights to… Let's Just Say "Interesting" Cocktails
Okay, food. This is where "Escape to Paradise" truly shines. The Asian cuisine in restaurant was an absolute revelation. I’m talking authentic, flavor-packed dishes that made my taste buds weep with joy. Seriously, the Pad Thai was SO good, I ate it three nights in a row. And I’m not even a huge Asian food person, generally! They really pull off the Asian breakfast as well. I took the breakfast [buffet] during my stay. The a la carte in restaurant option was available but I rarely went for it, since the buffet was so much better.
The Poolside bar was another highlight. Sipping a cocktail (of, shall we say, variable quality, sometimes) while gazing at the pool with a view was pure bliss. They do have Happy hour, which is always a welcome thing. The Coffee/tea in restaurant was always available, so I sipped some tea while in the restaurant. Although I went to the bar for happy hour, the staff was a bit slow.
I tried the Western cuisine in restaurant. It was nothing I was expecting, but it was great.
I definitely have to mention the Snack bar. It was perfect for a quick bite.
The Coffee shop was nice.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking – A Marathon of Delight (and Maybe a Little Guilt)
The food situation at Escape to Paradise was, in a word, dangerous. Dangerous to the waistline, that is. The Breakfast [buffet] was a glorious spread - everything from fresh fruit and pastries to a frankly alarming selection of sausages and cheeses (I blame the Thuringian air). The Room service [24-hour] was a lifesaver after a long day of exploring, because, you know – exhausting myself in the Gym/fitness, but also I had a lot of fun! They even had a Bottle of water in the room, which was clutch because sometimes Coffee/tea in restaurant just wasn’t cutting it. And the Desserts in restaurant? Oh, the desserts. Let's just say I'm going to the gym a lot more now that I'm back home.
Things to Do (and Ways to Avoid Doing Anything at All):
Right, the Spa/sauna was next on my list, and it was a dream. The Body scrub was fantastic. I had the opportunity to take a Foot bath. Taking a dip at the Swimming pool [outdoor] was a definite highlight. It was a great spot to just relax after the Gym/fitness.
The Sauna was…well, a sauna. If you like saunas, you’ll love it. I am not fond of taking hot baths, so I did not like it.
I think a Family/child friendly environment would be nice.
Cleanliness and Safety: Germaphobe Approved (Almost!)
Okay, in the age of… well, gestures vaguely at everything, safety is paramount. And I have to give "Escape to Paradise" props for their efforts. They were seemingly taking all the right precautions. Lots of Hand sanitizer stations, Daily disinfection in common areas, and you could tell the staff were taking hygiene seriously. The hotel offered Rooms sanitized between stays.
Services and Conveniences: The Good, the Bad, and the "Huh?"
The Concierge was helpful, always eager to arrange things. The Laundry service was a lifesaver when I managed to spill something on my favorite shirt. They had a Cash withdrawal too.
The Safety deposit boxes were appreciated.
But I think they should have a Smoking area and Non-smoking rooms.
Available in all rooms
The Air conditioning was my friend, especially after days in the sun. The Coffee/tea maker was a morning blessing. I took the Free bottled water.
I also enjoyed the Internet access – wireless and Wi-Fi [free]. The Alarm clock woke me up in the morning, and the desk allowed me to write down my thoughts.
Rooms: Pretty, but…
My room, generally, was nice. Air conditioning was a must-have, and I appreciated the Blackout curtains. Bed comfy, extra long bed and all that jazz. BUT…and here’s where the "slightly rusty hardware" comes in… I’m pretty sure the Shower head was older than my grandmother. It worked, sure, but the water pressure felt like a gentle drizzle.
Getting Around:
They have a Car park [free of charge].
For the Kids:
I don't have kids, but the place seemed generally Family/child friendly.
Final Verdict: Would I Return? Absolutely. With a Few Caveats.
Look, "Escape to Paradise" isn’t perfect. It's got those little quirks that give it character. But overall, it's a great place. The location is stunning, the food is phenomenal, the spa is dreamy, and the staff are, for the most part, lovely. If you're looking for a relaxing getaway in a beautiful setting, with some delicious food (especially that Asian cuisine!), then absolutely, book it! Just maybe pack a portable shower head, just in case. And watch out for those slopes! You've been warned! I'm already dreaming of going back. Even if the rusty hardware is still there…
Escape to Tuscany: Your Dream Belvilla Awaits in Cortona, ItalyOkay, buckle up, Buttercup. This isn't your meticulously planned, Pinterest-perfect itinerary. This is me, rambling my way to Thuringia, Germany, from a holiday home in Piesau. Expect tangents, questionable decisions, and probably a near-miss with some overly-friendly cows. Here we go…
Thuringia or Bust (and Probably Several Coffee Breaks): A Slightly Unhinged Journey
Day 1: Arrival & The Great Suitcase Massacre (and Attempted German)
Morning: The journey starts… badly. Seriously, why do airlines think tiny seats are okay? Managed to survive the flight, which felt like an eternity. Landed in Frankfurt, which is… a city. Found the rental car. It's tiny, slightly dented (probably mine, eventually), and apparently, the clutch and I are not friends. Cue existential dread.
Afternoon: The drive to Piesau. The German highway system: amazing. The signs? Mysterious hieroglyphs. Google Maps is my savior, unless it decides to direct me down a barely-there forest track. That happened. The holiday home in Piesau, Haus Sonnenschein (hopefully it is sunny eventually) - found it! The key was hidden under a… well, you’ll see.
Evening: Unpacking. A disaster. My suitcase exploded upon opening. Seriously, clothes everywhere. I feel like a tornado hit my closet. Ended up just shoving everything in whatever drawer seemed vaguely empty. Tried to speak German: "Wo ist die Toilette?" (Where is the toilet?). Pretty sure the woman at the bakery understood, but gave me a very long look. Dinner: instant noodles. Classy, I know. But exhaustion won.
- Rambling Thought: This place feels… rustic. In a good way. Like my grandmother's house, if my grandmother had a penchant for gingerbread houses and cow bells. The air smells of pine and… something else. Something vaguely… earthy. I'm here for it.
Day 2: Sausages, Stargazing, and Existential Crisis (the trifecta!)
Morning: Breakfast at the local bakery: Brötchen (bread rolls) and Wurst (sausage!). The sausage? Phenomenal. The Brötchen? So crispy I could hear the crumbs judging my life choices. Went for a hike, probably got lost three times, but the forest looked incredible. The smell was fantastic.
Afternoon: Visited a local glassblowing shop. Mesmerizing! The artist was like, a magician with fire and molten glass. Bought a tiny, ridiculously overpriced glass bird. Worth it. (Don't tell the bank.) Then, stumbled upon a random flea market. Found a weird, slightly unsettling porcelain doll. Couldn’t resist. Now, I have a porcelain doll staring at me. (Update: she is definitely judging me.)
Evening: Decided to attempt stargazing. Piesau is way out in the sticks, so theoretically the sky should be amazing. Unfortunately, I spent most of my time swatting mosquitoes and trying not to step on a badger. Saw a few stars, though. The universe is vast, and I am… slightly overwhelmed. Cried a little while staring at the stars.
- Anecdote: Getting to the glassblowing shop was a mission. Ended up driving down a road that looked like it hadn’t been paved since the last world war. Thought the car was going to fall apart. Barely made it. The glass artist looked like he'd seen it all.
Day 3: Weimar: Culture Shock & Bratwurst Overload
Morning: Decided to be cultured. Drove to Weimar, home of Goethe and Schiller. Walked around the city. It was beautiful. I think I appreciate historical buildings, but honestly, it all starts to blend together. Took a guided tour. I mostly understood. Saw Goethe’s house. Was slightly underwhelmed.
Afternoon: Food. Needed food. Lots of it. Found a traditional German restaurant. Ordered a mountain of Bratwurst and sauerkraut. It was glorious. I ate so much, I may have developed a Bratwurst-shaped stomach. Walked around the park. Almost tripped over a statue of a very serious-looking duke.
Evening: Back to Piesau. Needed a detox from city life. Took a long bath. Added too much bubble bath. The bathroom is now a bubble-filled swamp. Spent the evening reading by the fire. It's… cozy. I'm starting to understand the appeal of this whole "countryside" thing.
- Quirky Observation: German efficiency is real. Everything works perfectly. Except my ability to order food.
Day 4: The Thuringian Forest Adventure (and a near-death experience with a cowbell)
Morning: Attempted a more ambitious hike in the Thuringian forest. This time, I brought a map. Got slightly lost. Again. But the forest… wow. Lush, green, and ridiculously picturesque. Found a hidden waterfall. Sat there for like, an hour, just feeling… content.
Afternoon: This is where things got interesting. Found a farm. Approached some cows. Thought they were friendly. They were not. I mean, they were polite. But one of them had a HUGE cowbell. And when it moved, it rang. Loudly. I panicked. Ran. Almost tripped on a fence. That could have ended badly. Decided to be more respectful of farm animals.
Evening: Wound up eating at a local gasthaus. More sausage, of course. And some local beer. Conversation with the locals was limited to smiles and the occasional “Danke!” (thank you!).
- Impression: I like these people. Even though I can’t speak their language.
- Rambling Thought: The Thuringian Forest is amazing. It gives you a chance to think. That's good and bad. It provides a chance to unwind when you can't do so in your normal life.
- Emotional reaction: Cows now fill me with a unique combination of awe and terror.
Day 5: Relaxation, Reflections, and the inevitable packing
- Morning: Slept in! Needed this.
- Afternoon: Spent time just relaxing in Haus Sonnenschein. Wrote in journal. Read.
- Evening: The dreaded day when I must pack. Had to clean up too. It was a mix of sadness and relief. It's been an amazing trip. In the end, it was worth it!
- Mood: Sad to leave.
Day 6: Farewell to the Piesau
- Morning: Packed my suitcase. It did not explode this time. Said goodbye to the house. I might even recommend it to someone. Returned the rental car. Hopefully, it is still in one piece.
- Afternoon: Flight home. Tired but happy.
- Mood: Content.
Final Thoughts:
Thuringia? Absolutely worth it. Piesau? Charming and quirky. Would I go back? Absolutely. Would I learn more German? Probably not. But I'd definitely be armed with more insect repellent and a healthy respect for cowbells. This trip was messy, imperfect, and utterly real. Just the way I like it.
Escape to Paradise: Luxe Farmhouse in Rijsbergen (Utrecht, Hot Tub!)So, *Escape to Paradise*... Sounds a bit cheesy, doesn't it? What's the REAL story?
Alright, alright, I get it. "Paradise" is a loaded word, right? Truthfully? We were aiming for "Cozy Thuringian Retreat," but the marketing team... well, let's just say they went for the big, bold, slightly over-the-top angle. Look, the *real* story is this: My wife, Sarah, and I were *drowning* in city life. Constant noise, the rent sucking us dry, and the never-ending feeling of being... squashed. We craved space, fresh air, and, you know, a life less centered around the next email.
So we started looking. Thuringia kept popping up. Then, this old Bauernhaus (farmhouse) popped up... and we were toast. It wasn't love at first sight. It was more like, "Oh God, that roof needs *major* work!" But the views... the sheer *silence* (except for the occasional cow bell – which, I have to admit, I now find incredibly soothing). It was… *something*. So, yeah, not *perfect* paradise, but a damn good start. And the cheese? Well, the local cheeses are actually amazing! See if you can find a "Thüringer Rostbratwurst" and eat it on the porch... you'll start to feel something.
What's actually *in* the holiday home? Is it just another boring rental?
Boring? I *tried* to avoid boring! Okay, fine, the kitchen has all the usual suspects: a fridge (essential), an oven (also essential), a dishwasher (THANK GOD – I *hate* doing dishes!). But we also tried to inject some personality. We’ve got comfortable sofas (believe me, you’ll want them after a hike), a fireplace (perfect for those chilly evenings), and a bookshelf crammed with books – some in German (good luck!), some in English.
We collect quirky antiques (mainly from the local flea market – which by the way *is an experience*), and we’ve got a decent selection of board games. And the beds? Oh, the beds! We splurged on good mattresses. Sleep is important, people. And wifi? Yep, we have wifi. Because, let's face it, even in "Paradise," you might need to check your emails. (Don't tell Sarah I said that.)
Tell me about the location. Is it *really* as peaceful as the photos suggest?
Peaceful? Okay, let me paint you a picture. When we first arrived to Escape to Paradise, there was this deafening silence. Like, *really* deafening. It was a bit unsettling at first. I kept expecting something to jump out from the fields. Now? Now it's my happy place. The photos… yeah, they’re pretty. But they don't quite capture the smell of the pine trees after a rain shower, or the crispness of the air, or the way the stars explode at night.
It's in the middle of nowhere, which is precisely the point. You’re surrounded by rolling hills, forests perfect for hiking (and getting gloriously lost in – be warned!), and charming little villages. The nearest town is a short drive, but honestly, you could spend your entire trip just *being* there. Bring a book, a bottle of wine, and prepare to unwind. You'll need it. It almost changed my life. It's not for those who need city life, it is there for the people who need silence.
What's the hiking like? I'm not exactly Bear Grylls...
Don't worry, you don't need to be. The hiking in Thuringia is fantastic. There are trails for all levels. Easy strolls through the valleys, moderate walks through the woods, and some more challenging climbs if you're feeling ambitious. We had a group of friends come stay and they said just this one area alone was something special.
We’ve got maps and trail recommendations at the house. Look, even I, a guy who previously considered climbing the stairs a major achievement, have managed to conquer a few hills. Just bring good walking shoes (trust me on this one), a water bottle, and maybe a snack, and you'll be fine. The air will make you feel alive. I promise.
The best advice? Don't try to take on too much on the first day. Ease yourself into it. And if you see a deer? Just… admire it from a distance. Don’t attempt to befriend it. I learned that lesson the hard way. Let’s just say Bambi was *very* unimpressed with my attempts to share a granola bar.
Okay, so what *isn't* perfect? Because let's be honest, nothing's *actually* perfect, right?
You got it. Look, the farmhouse is old. It has character (aka, a few quirks). The wifi, while decent, sometimes struggles during a thunderstorm. And the hot water… well, it can take a *minute* to warm up. Don't expect instant luxury. The entire water heating situation can be a bit of a lottery.
And the local grocery store… the selection is great, but it closes at what feels like the afternoon. So, plan ahead! Also, the occasional spider. They’re harmless, mostly. Though I once woke up with a spider the size of my thumb on the ceiling and spent a good ten minutes debating the merits of burning the entire place down. Sarah, thankfully, talked me out of it. So yeah, expect a little… rustic charm. It's not a five-star hotel. It's a *home*. Our home, and we love it that it is just what it needs to be, no less, no more.
What are some must-see attractions nearby?
Oh, boy, where do I begin? There's the Wartburg Castle (a UNESCO World Heritage site!), the Goethe National Museum in Weimar (history nerds, rejoice!), and the beautiful town of Erfurt with its Krämerbrücke (Merchant's Bridge). There's also the Rennsteig, a long-distance hiking trail that runs right through Thuringia, if you're feeling *really* adventurous.
The point is, there's plenty to keep you busy. But my advice? Don't feel like you have to do everything. Sometimes, the best thing to do is just… nothing. Sit on the porch, drink coffee, and watch the clouds drift by. You can get pretty burnt out trying to see it *all*. Some of the best times I had was just me and a glass of wine, watching the wildlife.
Are pets allowed? My furry friend is part of the family!
Absolutely! We love pets! Well-behaved dogs are very welcome. We've got plenty of space for them to roam around (though please, please, keep them under control). We do ask thatScenic Stays