Escape to Paradise: Your Dream Farmhouse Awaits in Namur, Belgium!
Escape to Paradise? More Like a Quirky Adventure in Namur: My Dream Farmhouse Diary
(Metadata: Belgium Hotels, Namur Hotels, Farmhouse Stay, Spa Hotel, Accessible Hotel, Family-Friendly, Romantic Getaway, Escape to Paradise Review, Belgian Getaway, Hotel Review, Restaurant Review, Spa Review, Accessible Travel, Pet-Friendly, Family Vacation, Romantic Vacation, Business Travel, Things to Do Namur)
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I'm about to spill the tea, the Belgian tea, on "Escape to Paradise: Your Dream Farmhouse Awaits" in Namur. Honestly, the name is a bit much, isn't it? Promises, promises! But hey, I'm a sucker for a charming farmhouse, a good spa, and a healthy dose of "let's escape reality!" So, I packed my bags, my skepticism, and my slightly-too-optimistic expectations, and off I went.
First Impressions: Accessibility and, well, a bit of a scramble…
Getting there was… an adventure. Thank goodness for the "Airport transfer" because negotiating Belgian train schedules with luggage is not my idea of a good time. The initial road to the farmhouse was stunning, I have to say. Rolling hills, fields of… well, I’m not entirely sure what they were growing, but they looked pretty! 🤩
On arrival, I checked out the accessibility which, let’s just say, was "mostly there." Listed as "Facilities for disabled guests", that's… a vague promise, isn't it? I'll be honest, it wasn't the fully-fledged smooth, everything-is-wheelchair-accessible dream. A few rampy bits, a lift, some wider doors, but the gravel paths… let’s just say I got a little bit of a workout. But hey, consider it part of the…rustic charm? 😂
Inside? The common areas boasted "Air conditioning in public area," a blessing, because Belgian summers can occasionally surprise you! "Elevator" was there, thankfully. And the "Doorman" – a gentleman with a fantastic mustache – who made me feel like I was actually arriving somewhere important.
Rooms and Reality: Comforts and Quirks
My room? Well, it's advertised as "Available in all rooms!" – and boy, it did have a lot. Let's start with the good: "Free Wi-Fi," definitely a lifesaver! "Air conditioning," check. "Coffee/tea maker," absolutely crucial! "Free bottled water," always appreciated. And I loved the "Bathrobes" and "Slippers." Small luxuries, but they make a difference.
The "Blackout curtains" were a lifesaver. The "Extra long bed" was great. The "Mirror" - I could see myself - a must. The "Reading light"? Genius. "Separate shower/bathtub"? Always a win.
And now for the quirky: "Hair dryer"? Yes, but it looked like it was older than my grandma. "Alarm clock"? Yeah, but it seemed to have a mind of its own. And the "Non-smoking" – well, I appreciated it. But for some reason, my room did have that subtle whiff of a past cigarette smoker, despite being non-smoking. Go figure. I’d give this room a 7/10.
Oh, and the "View"? Gorgeous. Overlooking… more rolling hills. Which, frankly, got a little repetitive after a couple of days. Maybe I was hoping for a cow with a bow, but hey, it's a working farmhouse, right?
Food, Glorious, and Slightly Over-Greased, Food!
Dining was… an experience. "Restaurants" – plural! Okay, I'm excited! The "A la carte in restaurant" and "Buffet in restaurant" seemed promising. And yes, there were "Restaurants," but the primary one was the main one, which housed the "Breakfast [buffet]" as well, and the menu was…well, let’s say it leaned heavily towards the Belgian classics.
The "Western breakfast" was decent, but let’s be honest, I was hoping for some "Asian breakfast" options. "Asian cuisine in restaurant" was listed, but it wasn’t on the Breakfast menu. "Coffee/tea in restaurant" was readily available. The "Bottle of water" was essential. The "Happy hour" was a nice touch, but the cocktails were… strong. VERY strong. Perhaps too strong. "Snack bar" options were plentiful, if a little heavy on the fries.
My deepest, most profound culinary memory? The frites with mayonnaise so copious it glistened like a freshly-oiled Belgian racehorse. I'm not saying it was bad, I'm just saying… I’m pretty sure I could've fueled a small car on that mayo.
The "Desserts in restaurant" were beautiful, though, I do have to say. And the "Salad in restaurant" was welcome relief from all the…frites.
I did have to avail myself of the "Room service [24-hour]" a couple of times, mainly because I was too full from that mayo-soaked frites experience to move. The service was excellent.
Spa Day: My Personal Nirvana (Mostly!)
Alright, let’s talk Spa. This is where my "Escape to Paradise" expectations started to feel a bit more… fulfilled. "Spa/sauna", "Steamroom," "Massage," "Body scrub," "Foot bath" - oh, yes! I'm in.
The "Pool with view" was spectacular, even if the view was… more hills. I spent an entire afternoon in the "Swimming pool [outdoor]", and it was bliss. The "Sauna" was legit. The "Massage"? Ah, finally some time! One of the best massages I’ve ever had.
The only slight downside? The proximity of the "Fitness center" to the spa. Which meant I could occasionally hear the sounds of people grunting and groaning. Not exactly conducive to ultimate relaxation, but mostly the spa experience saved the day.
Cleanliness and Safety: The Pandemic Perspective
This is a big one, folks. The hotel's "Cleanliness and safety" protocols were… decent. They had "Anti-viral cleaning products," "Daily disinfection in common areas," "Hand sanitizer" everywhere, and the staff wore masks. They also had "Room sanitization opt-out available," and I appreciated the effort.
The staff were genuinely friendly, and the "Staff trained in safety protocol."
The "Physical distancing of at least 1 meter" was, well, sort of followed. I appreciated the effort. And the "Sanitized kitchen and tableware items" were reassuring as I ate, you know, more frites.
For The Kids (and the Kid in Us All)
I didn’t travel with kids, but if you do, this place has them well covered. "Babysitting service" offered parental flexibility. "Family/child friendly" meant they were welcome.
Stuff I Didn't Use (But Was There!)
- "Body wrap"
- "Fitness center"
- "Gym/fitness"
- "Clinic/ nurse on call"
- "Shared stationery removed."
- "Sterilizing equipment"
Services and Conveniences: From Practical to Posh
The "Services and conveniences" were plentiful. "Concierge," "Daily housekeeping," "Dry cleaning," "Car park [free of charge]," "Luggage storage" – all the practicalities handled. They even offered "Currency exchange."
And there was a tiny "Convenience store," which came in handy when I ran out of… well, I’m not going to disclose.
Overall Verdict: A Quirky Farmhouse Adventure
So, is "Escape to Paradise" truly paradise? Hmmmm… not quite. But it was a charming, quirky, and mostly enjoyable experience. It's a place with some rough edges, some moments of genuine bliss, and a whole lot of delicious (and slightly-too-mayo-soaked) fries. Would I go back? Maybe. If I'm craving Belgian charm, a good spa, and an adventure that’s just a little bit… offbeat. It’s a place I'll remember, that's for sure!
Final Thoughts: "Escape To Paradise" is not perfection, but is a unique experience well suited for a laid-back, flexible traveler.
Coastal Belgian Mansion: Cozy Fireplace & Ocean Views!Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we're about to wade into the glorious, muddy, slightly-off-kilter world that is my trip to Farmhouse in Fontenelle, right in the heart of Namur, Belgium. Forget perfectly curated Instagram feeds – this is the raw, unfiltered, probably-hungover account.
The Itinerary (or, as I like to call it, The "I Kinda Have a Plan, Maybe" Guide):
Day 1: Arrival and "Accidental" Delights (aka, Total Discombobulation)
- Morning (7:00 AM): Wake up in a jet-lagged haze. Seriously, why does my brain refuse to understand time zones? Vow to hydrate. Immediately fail.
- (8:00 AM): Taxi from the airport. The driver, probably sensing my utter bewilderment, tries starting a conversation about the weather. I grunt something about how I feel like a sentient, slightly damp potato. He nods sympathetically. Belgians, man. They get it.
- (9:30 AM): Arrive at the Farmhouse. Oh. My. God. The pictures don't do this place justice. It's quaint in that aggressively charming way that makes you want to weep with happiness. Garden? Forget a picture I have to draw it! It's spilling over with flowers, and the air smells like, well, life. And fresh bread. Dear lord, fresh bread.
- (10:00 AM): Check-in. The owner, a woman with kind eyes and a laugh that could melt glaciers, is incredibly welcoming. She apologizes for the "minor" issue of the shower needing a plumber. Noted.
- (10:30 AM): Commence exploratory wandering of the house. Oh boy, this is more fun than I thought it would be. I fall love with things I would never imagine, and I despise things I thought I'd love. It's getting so messy I don't know where I'm going.
- (12:00 PM): Lunch. I swear, I didn't mean to just stumble into the bakery a block down, but the scent of baking bread just yanked me in. Pro tip: The apricot tart is life-altering. I may or may not have bought two.
- (1:00 PM - 4:00 PM): "Accidental" exploration of Namur. I get lost. Repeatedly. This is actually the best part. The cobblestone streets are like a maze, and every corner reveals another postcard-worthy vista. Find a charming little square, order a ridiculously strong Belgian beer, and mentally plan my escape to a life of artisanal cheese and sunshine.
- (4:00 PM): Back to the farmhouse. Shower water still not working. I make peace with this fact and decide I'll live in a constant state of slightly-smelly contentment for the duration of the trip.
- (6:00 PM): Dinner. I didn't plan this, yet. Dinner at this farmhouse is amazing! In these cases, I'm like a child at chrismas. I'm excited, I don't want to share, AND I WANT MORE!!
- (8:00 PM): Cozy evening in the farmhouse. Read a book by the fireplace (which, thankfully, does work), sip wine, and try to remember what day of the week it is. Success rate: 50/50.
Day 2: Food Glorious Food & Unexpected History
- Morning (8:00 AM): Wake up. Water still not working. I'm not happy about it. But I find comfort on the thought I'm going to have an incredible breakfast.
- (9:00 AM): Breakfast. The table is laden with delights. Fresh bread (again!), local cheeses, fruit, yogurt. I basically inhale everything. I swear, I could live on this food.
- (10:00 AM): I head out. I've got a plan (sort of), but my sense of direction is, shall we say, optimistic.
- (10:30 AM): The Citadel. Seriously, this place is enormous! I spend the next few hours wandering the ramparts, admiring the views, and feeling a bit like I've stepped into a history textbook. The audio guide is helpful, but I find myself zoning out and daydreaming about the apricot tart.
- (2:00 PM): Lunch at a bistro in the old town. Order a dish I can't pronounce, but it looks amazing. It is. So much so that I forget all my previous opinions on food from yesterday.
- (3:00 PM): Back to the farmhouse; get lost again and buy more apricot tarts.
- (4:00 PM): More exploring of the house. I found a vintage record player. This is going to be interesting.
- (6:00 PM): Dinner. Same. Dinner at this farmhouse is amazing! In these cases, I'm like a child at chrismas. I'm excited, I don't want to share, AND I WANT MORE!!
Day 3: The Great Departure (or, "Will I Ever Leave?")
- Morning (9:00 AM): Breakfast (because, priorities). Another feast. Another moment of pure, unadulterated bliss.
- (10:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Reluctantly pack. I try to decide what I will buy to take home and fill my house with the tastes of this trip.
- Afternoon (12:00 PM): Check-out. Hug the owner. Vow to return. Shed a single, dramatic tear.
- (1:00 PM): Bye Fontenelle. Bye Namur.
I'm sure I'll miss things. I'm sure I'll get lost. I'm sure I'll eat too much pastry. But that's the whole point, isn't it? This is about embracing the mess, the imperfections, the sheer, unadulterated joy of being somewhere new. And Fontenelle, you magnificent beast, you've already delivered in spades.
Escape to Paradise: Luxury Villa Stefano in Italy Awaits!So... You Wanna Escape To Paradise? (Spoiler Alert: It's in Namur, Belgium)
Alright, alright, lay it on me – what *is* this "Escape to Paradise" thing, exactly? Sounds kinda…cheesy.
Look, I'll be honest, the name makes me cringe a little too. But hey, marketing. Essentially, it's like, a ridiculously adorable farmhouse rental just outside of Namur, Belgium. Think cobblestone streets, rolling hills, the whole "chocolate box" shebang. We’re talking exposed beams, roaring fireplaces (if you’re lucky!), and enough space to actually *breathe*. I, your humble narrator, have been there. Several times. And, yeah, it kinda *is* paradise, even if the name makes me want to roll my eyes.
Imagine this: You arrive, exhausted from the travel, the kids are screaming, the partner is silently judging your packing skills…you unlock the door, and BAM! Instant stress melt. Okay, maybe not *that* instant. But close. Close enough. You're there to decompress, to *escape*.
Namur? Belgium? Isn't that place…rainy?
Okay, fine, yes. Belgium. Famous for chocolate, beer, and…occasional drizzle. Look, it's not the Costa del Sol, okay? Pack accordingly. But honestly? Even a rainy day in that farmhouse is magical. You get to snuggle up by the fireplace, read a book, and pretend you're a 19th-century novelist. Honestly, I kinda *love* the rain. It adds to the cozy vibe. But yes, bring an umbrella. And maybe a rain jacket. I learned that the hard way. I packed light once. BIG mistake. Ended up huddled in a doorway, looking like a drowned rat. Not my finest moment.
What's the farmhouse *actually* like? Is it as perfect as the pictures? (Spoiler: They never are.)
Okay, here's the truth bomb: Pictures are always…embellished. But, *mostly* yeah, it's pretty darn close. I saw one that had a wonky window. You always get a whiff of old wood, which I personally love. It's got character, you know? There's usually a fully equipped kitchen (thank heavens!), comfortable beds (seriously, I passed out within minutes of hitting the pillow), and a garden. The gardens are usually the *real* stars. I remember this one time, we were there, and the roses were *insane*. Like, perfume-yourself-because-you-can-kind-of-insane. My partner, who is not a rose person, was even impressed. See? Paradise.
BUT. Don’t expect a sterile, modern hotel experience. This is a *farmhouse*. Things might be a little…quirky. Maybe a slightly uneven floorboard. Maybe a slightly creaky staircase. Embrace the imperfections. They're part of the charm. And, okay, one time the water heater went out. It was NOT charming. But the owner, bless her heart, rushed over with a temporary fix and a bottle of wine. Everything is fixable in the end.
Okay, let's talk logistics. How do I get there? Is it a pain in the derrière?
You can fly into Brussels (BRU) and rent a car. That's the easiest. The drive is beautiful. Just be warned: Belgian traffic can be…well, it depends on the day. Sometimes it’s smooth sailing, sometimes you’re stuck behind a tractor. Embrace the chaos! Give yourself plenty of wiggle room. The countryside is gorgeous, so even if it’s a slow journey, at least you have nice scenery right? Just remember to pick up a navigation device, the village signs in Belgium can be…a bit vague. I’ve gotten lost more than once. The last time, I ended up in a field. True story.
What is there to *do* in Namur and the surrounding area? Besides stare at the pretty farmhouse walls?
Oh, honey, so much! Namur itself is fantastic. Explore the Citadel (amazing views!), wander the old town, and eat ALL the waffles. There's a river, if you're into that, and tons of charming little shops and cafes. I spent hours just poking around. Beyond Namur? You've got the Dinant, the Ardennes (perfect for hiking!), and even day trips to other Belgian cities like Brussels or Bruges. I took a train to Bruges once, and it was... gorgeous! Except for the crowds. Avoid Bruges in peak season if you value your sanity. Seriously. It's beautiful, but it's like walking through a human river. Okay, maybe not the "river" type. More like a clogged canal.
Food! Important question. What should I eat??
Everything. Seriously. Indulge. Belgium is a carb-lover's paradise. Fries, waffles, chocolate, beer… It’s a culinary assault on your senses in the best possible way. Go to local markets and get fresh bread and cheese. And don’t even think about leaving without trying *frites* (the best fries you'll ever have) and a good Belgian beer. Be warned: Belgian beer is strong. Pace yourself. The chocolate? Don't even get me started. Enough to make a grown woman weep. I may have shed a tear or two over a particularly decadent truffle. No shame.
I'm traveling with kids! Is this place kid-friendly?
Depends on the farmhouse. Some are tailor-made for families, with gardens for the little ones to run around in, and others are better suited for couples or solo travelers. Check with the owner about cribs, high chairs, and other essentials. My kids loved it! The wide open spaces are great for them and the fresh air is a blessing. One time, we let the kids wander the garden and they spent the afternoon catching ladybugs. It was idyllic, perfect, absolutely magical. Of course, then they tracked mud *everywhere*. So, bring wipes. Lots and lots of wipes.
Are pets allowed? I can't leave Fido at home!
Again, it varies. Definitely check the listing! Some farmhouses are pet-friendly. I’ve seen it with my own eyes. Others aren’t. Assume they aren't unless it explicitly states that they are. If your pet is particularly well behaved, or you’re willing to convince them, then good luck. Just don't sneak a whole herd in, okay? That’d be a disaster.